Experimental proofs of increase of mass with v

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
alvaros
Messages
166
Reaction score
0
Is there any experiment that shows the increase in mass ( or kinetic energy ) of a moving body when seen from an observer at rest ?

I know that sincrotons ( particles accelerators ) must change the frequency bla bla ..

But once that these particles have been accelerated and hit a target, the heat produced has been measured ?

I mean, a way of measuring mass ( or kinetic energy ) not based on electric forces.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alvaros said:
Is there any experiment that shows the increase in mass ( or kinetic energy ) of a moving body when seen from an observer at rest ?

I know that sincrotons ( particles accelerators ) must change the frequency bla bla ..

But once that these particles have been accelerated and hit a target, the heat produced has been measured ?

I mean, a way of measuring mass ( or kinetic energy ) not based on electric forces.

Yes, relativistic kinetic energies of particles in accelerators were measured to very high precision by various techniques, including heat release in calorimeters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimeter_(particle_physics)

Eugene.