Experts in Optics: Advice needed in working with SLDs

In summary, the individual is working on a project involving a superluminescent diode (SLD) being launched in a rocket. They need to find a small driver and temperature control unit to protect the SLD from potential threats. The person is aware that these devices are typically large for lab use, but they only need it to last for a few tests before the rocket launch. The discussion also touches on the difference between SLDs and laser diodes. The person asking the question has already done some research on SLDs.
Nicholas moore
I'm working on a project which will involve placing a superluminescent diode in a rocket, which will get launched in desert (obviously the SLD is just part of a greater system, the objective is not the operation of an SLD)
What I need to know is if you think I could make, or where I can track down and buy, a small driver and temperature control unit to avoid all the different kinds of impending threats to an SLD.

Typically these devices for powering and monitoring the SLD are large, because the SLD is used in a lab setting, because preserving SLD lifetime is an important design parameter, and because stability of the driver impacts lab measurements; so in your answer keep in mind that the driver stability only needs to be good enough and that the SLD only needs to last through a couple dozen tests until the summer when the rocket gets launched.

Optimistic, and perhaps naive,
Thank you,
-N

Science news on Phys.org
This looks more related to electronics rather than optics

Nicholas moore said:
What I need to know is if you think I could make, or where I can track down and buy, a small driver and temperature control unit to avoid all the different kinds of impending threats to an SLD.

what " threats " have you envisioned ?Dave

Nicholas moore said:

OK so what do you really want to know about ?

your title and OP talk about super luminous diodes

your link speaks of laser diodes
There is somewhat of a difference between the two

so what googling have you done on SLD's since that was your initial quest ?

Dave

1. What are SLDs and how do they differ from other light sources?

SLDs, or Superluminescent Diodes, are light sources that emit a broad spectrum of light with high coherence. They are similar to lasers in that they use a semiconductor material to produce light, but they have a larger emitting area and less directional output compared to lasers.

2. What are the key factors to consider when working with SLDs?

Some important factors to consider when working with SLDs include the wavelength range, output power, coherence length, and stability. It is also important to consider the packaging and mounting options, as well as the cooling requirements.

3. How can I ensure the stability and reliability of SLDs in my experiments?

To ensure stability and reliability, it is important to operate SLDs within their specified temperature and current ranges. It is also recommended to use a temperature controller and a current driver specifically designed for SLDs. Additionally, proper handling and storage of SLDs can help maintain their performance and lifespan.

4. What are some common applications of SLDs in the field of optics?

SLDs have various applications in the field of optics, including optical coherence tomography (OCT), fiber optic gyroscopes, and optical sensing. They are also used in telecommunications, spectroscopy, and microscopy.

5. Can SLDs be customized for specific applications?

Yes, some companies offer custom SLDs with specific wavelength ranges, output powers, and packaging options to meet the needs of different applications. It is important to consult with the manufacturer or an expert in optics to determine the best SLD for your specific project.