Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experts in Optics: Advice needed in working with SLDs

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1
    I'm working on a project which will involve placing a superluminescent diode in a rocket, which will get launched in desert (obviously the SLD is just part of a greater system, the objective is not the operation of an SLD)
    What I need to know is if you think I could make, or where I can track down and buy, a small driver and temperature control unit to avoid all the different kinds of impending threats to an SLD.

Typically these devices for powering and monitoring the SLD are large, because the SLD is used in a lab setting, because preserving SLD lifetime is an important design parameter, and because stability of the driver impacts lab measurements; so in your answer keep in mind that the driver stability only needs to be good enough and that the SLD only needs to last through a couple dozen tests until the summer when the rocket gets launched.

Optimistic, and perhaps naive,
    Thank you,
    -N

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This looks more related to electronics rather than optics

what " threats " have you envisioned ?

Dave

4. Feb 3, 2016 #3
  5. Feb 3, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK so what do you really want to know about ?

your title and OP talk about super luminous diodes

your link speaks of laser diodes
    There is somewhat of a difference between the two

so what googling have you done on SLD's since that was your initial quest ?

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook