Can Experts in Slime Mold Proteins Make Hybrid Proteins?

In summary, this person is asking about making hybrid proteins and the odds of them working and the consequences of doing so.
NeedBioInfo
What would people who specialize in slime mold/slime mold proteins be called? What field would they be in? Thanks

I guess another thing I want to know is, would it be possible to make hybrid proteins?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
NeedBioInfo said:
What would people who specialize in slime mold/slime mold proteins be called? What field would they be in? Thanks
I don't think there is a special name. The field would depend on what kind of research they are engaging themselves in. To find articles relevant to slime molds, look on www.pubmed.com.
I guess another thing I want to know is, would it be possible to make hybrid proteins?
Yes, that's possible (think GFP). Be aware that the properties of a protein are likely to change when you make a hybrid.

What are the odds that the properties of a protein will change when it becomes a hybrid, what affects that, etc?

Thanks

And by properties do you mean actions?

Thanks

proteins are just chains of amino acids that fold into structures which leads to different functions. two proteins can differ by one one amino acid, and their functions can change dramatically if one amino acid is altered.

properties and actions both.

Um, when you're using "properties" in this context, are you using it in a way which always includes actions? I mean, what are you using properties to refer to?

Making a hybrid protein out of a protein wouldn't always change the action of the protein right? Could somebody give me some info on the circumstances where it would and wouldn't?

(Sorry, edited post)

Thanks

Last edited:
The action changes when you change the protein in such a way that it can not act anymore. When you change a single aminoacid in the active site, the whole function of the protein will be lost. If the protein needs to translocate from the cytoplasm and the nucleus and you make a really large hybrid, it can not translocate anymore. You can think of other situations.

Hey Needbioinfo, can you be more specific as to what topic this is about?

is this a protein question or does it have to do with any specific thing you are doing.
I already explained the protein thing, do you want more details?

It's a protein/gene question about some specific things...do you know when you'll be back? Anyways thanks

1. What are experts in a specific field?

Experts in a specific field are individuals who have extensive knowledge, training, and experience in a particular subject. They possess a deep understanding of the theories, concepts, and techniques related to their field and are considered authorities in their respective areas of expertise.

2. How do individuals become experts in a specific field?

Becoming an expert in a specific field typically requires years of education, training, and practical experience. This can include obtaining advanced degrees, participating in specialized workshops and conferences, and working in the field for a significant amount of time. It also involves a continuous pursuit of knowledge, staying up-to-date with advancements and developments in the field.

3. What are the benefits of consulting with experts in a specific field?

Consulting with experts in a specific field can provide valuable insights, advice, and solutions to complex problems. They can offer a unique perspective and suggest innovative approaches that can lead to improved outcomes. They can also help individuals and organizations stay current with industry trends and best practices.

4. How do I know if someone is an expert in a specific field?

There are a few ways to determine if someone is an expert in a specific field. First, you can research their educational background, credentials, and work experience. You can also look for any publications, presentations, or awards they have received related to their field. Additionally, you can ask for recommendations or referrals from others in the industry.

5. What role do experts in a specific field play in scientific research?

Experts in a specific field play a crucial role in scientific research. They often lead and participate in research studies, provide guidance and mentorship to other researchers, and contribute to the development of new theories and advancements in their field. Their expertise and knowledge are essential in the pursuit of scientific discovery and innovation.