Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain 'bubbles' in cosmological phase transitions

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1
    Can someone, please, explain to me (in layman's terms, [ie no mathematics]) the theory behind early cosmological phase transitions and these supposed 'bubbles' ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2
    Synopsis: Bubbles start as quantum fluctuations and end in decay analogous to radioactive decay....these are statistical rather than classical phenomena with exact predictions.

Usually the context in which I have seen 'bubbles' refer to multiple universes...each bubble forms a universe in eternal inflation models. [edit: see my post # 4 below where I rediscovered the distinction.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology [Broken])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_universe_theory

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Mar 17, 2012 #3
    Here is an analogous description of inflation within one bubble, our universe.

(I take this to mean galaxies in some places, empty space between them, for example.) The above references an inflationary model, not the cyclic model which is the main topic of the book.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. Mar 17, 2012 #4
    Here are some interesting 'bubble' footnote excerpts from Brian Greene's FABRIC OF THE COSMOS, page 521...

Alan Guth's old [original] inflation model suffered a 'pernicious flaw' [says Greene]:

so it sounds like bubble collisions [mergers] were no longer required....each bubble would natrualy become an entire universe......

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook