Explain convection heat transfer using kinetic theory

I am trying to explain the convection heat transfer and the mass transfer related (buoyancy of the heated part of the gas) using only kinetic theory of gases , I mean using only collisions between molecules of the gas. The environment is the usual one : a hot wall in contact with a gas. Normally this problem is treated using a simple model of gas heated by the wall and expanded that is pushed up against gravity.
I have found explanation of viscosity, heat exchange without gravity, diffusion using kinetic theory. I have not found explanation of convection. Could somebody give some informations. Thanks

Answers and Replies

QuantumQuest
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'll try to give you some hints, to help you find the answer and not give you a whole answer, because I think this is the right way of learning anything.
When whatever fluid you have, is in contact with a hotter object - a hot wall for that matter, fluid gets energy via conduction, so its density decreases. Now, you have to think about the upward and downward forces, using a very simple line of thinking and see what happens with the volume of hot fluid. When you arrive there, there is an interaction with surrounding fluid that develops a convection effect, in order to account for the pressure difference.