Explanation for Capillary Force

In summary, capillary force is the force that causes liquid to rise in a narrow tube, such as a capillary tube, due to the imbalance between surface tension and adhesion with the weight of the liquid. This phenomenon is commonly observed when a capillary tube is placed in a cup of water, where the water level in the tube is higher than the water level in the cup. This is due to the surface tension force between the tube and water balancing with the self-weight of the water in the tube above the surrounding water level. For more information, you can refer to sources such as Wikipedia, How Stuff Works, and the US Geological Survey website.
firewatermax

Homework Statement

Could some one help me understand capillary Force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we use a capillary tube sticking in a water cup as an example. The phenomenon will be water level is higher in the capillary tube than that in the water cup.
I understand that it is the surface tension force b/t tube and water which balances with the self-weight of the part of the water in the tube above the surrounding water level. But I just don't know why water would go up in the first place?

So just to make the question clear, I understand why water is able to stay in a higher level in the tube, but I don't know why it goes there.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• CapillaryRise.gif
    CapillaryRise.gif
    11 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is capillary force?

Capillary force, also known as surface tension, is the cohesive force between molecules that causes a liquid to pull against its own surface, creating a concave meniscus.

2. How does capillary force work?

Capillary force is caused by the imbalance of attractive forces between the molecules at the surface of a liquid and those within the liquid. This creates a net force that pulls the liquid molecules inward, creating a curved surface.

3. What is the significance of capillary force in nature?

Capillary force is essential in many natural processes, such as the movement of water through plants, the formation of raindrops, and the ability of insects to walk on water. It also plays a role in human-made products such as paper towels and sponges.

4. Can capillary force be manipulated?

Yes, capillary force can be manipulated by changing the properties of the liquid or the surface it is in contact with. This is why some liquids, like water, form a concave meniscus while others, like mercury, form a convex meniscus.

5. What are some practical applications of capillary force?

Capillary force has numerous practical applications, including in microfluidics, inkjet printing, and the creation of self-cleaning surfaces. It is also used in medical devices, such as capillary blood glucose meters, and in the production of nanomaterials.