Explanation of Limit Superior/Inferior

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm in the middle of a Complex Analysis course, working on the proof for a theorem to calculate radii of convergence for power series; a formula that utilises lim sup. Unfortunately, either I've forgotten lim superior/inferior from 1st year Analysis or I was never taught it in the first place. I think I have a vague intuitive notion of what it is (the point at which other points in the series cluster near the upper and lower bound respectively?), but can't seem to understand/derive that from the formalism. To make things worse, every account I've read gives conflicting definitions, and I'm struggling to see the equivalence between them. I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for a definitive treatment (the analysis textbooks I own miss it out, and the ones I picked out in the library today only give short expositions as part of end of chapter exercises), or perhaps could help me out with their own explanation.

I think what was particularly confusing was a definition which defined lim sup as (sorry, new to the forum and still working out how to do subscript properly) inf(sub n>1) sup { [tex]A_{}n[/tex], [tex]A_{}n+1[/tex], [tex]A_{}n+2[/tex], ....}

The uniqueness of sup makes this definition seem meaningless to me. Obviously misinterpreting something dramatically here but hopefully someone can set me straight! Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually think of the limsup as the "greatest limit that a subsequence can have" and the liminf likewise defined. For instance if you let E denote the set of all limits of convergent subsequences, then limsup is exactly max(E) and liminf is exactly min(E).

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Strictly speaking the limsup is the supremum (least upper bound) of the set of all subsequential limits. It is the "greatest limit that a subsequence can have" only if that least upper bound happens to be in the set of subsequential limits itself.