1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explicit Calculation of Gauss's Law

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a sphere centered at origin with radius R > z0. By calculating the total flux
    ϕ = ∫E . da through the sphere, explicitly show that ϕ = q/ϵ0

2. Relevant equations

Gauss's Law

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a general idea of what to do, but I just want to make sure I don't screw up from the start. I think that I have to do a surface integral. The instructions say to integrate over spherical coordinates.

I'm just confused because I usually think of spherical coordinates as 3 dimensions, but a surface integral is 2-D.

I figured that I would change dA into r^2 sinθ dr dϕ dθ, and integrate from there.
    I'd use 0 to R for radius, 0 to 2∏ for ϕ, and 0 to pi for θ. I figure you can take E out of the integral because it is constant and always normal to the Surface Area.

Am I on the right track with this one?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2
    Oh yeah, I should probably mention this too. It goes w/o saying, but there is a charge located at (0, 0, z0) as the initial condition.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dA=R^2 sinθ dϕ dθ. You don't integrate over r. It's just a surface. And dA should also include the outward pointing unit normal which you need to dot with E. Finally, it doesn't quite go without saying but if the charge is located at (0,0,z0) instead of the origin then the magnitude of the E field isn't constant either. There is some work to do here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook