Explicit Calculation of Gauss's Law

In summary, the problem asks to calculate the total flux through a sphere centered at the origin with radius R > z0 using Gauss's Law. By converting dA into spherical coordinates and integrating over the appropriate ranges, the expression ϕ = q/ϵ0 can be explicitly shown. It should be noted that the charge is located at (0, 0, z0) and the magnitude of the E field is not constant, so additional work is required.
Momentous

Homework Statement

Consider a sphere centered at origin with radius R > z0. By calculating the total flux
ϕ = ∫E . da through the sphere, explicitly show that ϕ = q/ϵ0

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a general idea of what to do, but I just want to make sure I don't screw up from the start. I think that I have to do a surface integral. The instructions say to integrate over spherical coordinates.

I'm just confused because I usually think of spherical coordinates as 3 dimensions, but a surface integral is 2-D.

I figured that I would change dA into r^2 sinθ dr dϕ dθ, and integrate from there.
I'd use 0 to R for radius, 0 to 2∏ for ϕ, and 0 to pi for θ. I figure you can take E out of the integral because it is constant and always normal to the Surface Area.

Am I on the right track with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh yeah, I should probably mention this too. It goes w/o saying, but there is a charge located at (0, 0, z0) as the initial condition.

dA=R^2 sinθ dϕ dθ. You don't integrate over r. It's just a surface. And dA should also include the outward pointing unit normal which you need to dot with E. Finally, it doesn't quite go without saying but if the charge is located at (0,0,z0) instead of the origin then the magnitude of the E field isn't constant either. There is some work to do here.

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the electric charge enclosed within that surface. It is one of Maxwell's equations and is used to study the electric field produced by electric charges.

2. How do you calculate Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law can be calculated by taking the integral of the electric field over a closed surface, known as the electric flux. This integral is equal to the total charge enclosed within the surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the importance of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and electric fields. It allows us to calculate the electric field at any point in space, given the distribution of charges, and is used in various applications such as in the design of electronic devices, antennas, and electric circuits.

4. What are the assumptions of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law assumes that the electric field is continuous, that the electric charges are stationary, and that the electric field is symmetric around the charge distribution. It also assumes that the electric field obeys the inverse square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance from the source charge.

5. How is Gauss's Law used in real-life situations?

Gauss's Law is used in various real-life situations, such as in the design of capacitors, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of lightning and in determining the electric field inside a conductor. Additionally, it is used in medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms.