Explosive Particle and momentum

In summary, a stationary mass of 10 kg disintegrates explosively into three parts, with two equal masses of 3 kg each moving at right angles to each other. Using the equations for kinetic energy and momentum, the velocity of the third part can be calculated to be approximately 300 m/s.
TFM

Homework Statement

A stationary mass of 10 kg disintegrates explosively, with the evolution of [tex]4.2.10^5[/tex] J, into three parts, two having equal masses of 3 kg. These two masses move at right angles to each other. Calculate the velocity of the third part.

Homework Equations

[tex] E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]

Momentum = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I know that this is a momentum question. And it needs to be constant, therefore

[tex] mv_{before} = mv_{after} [/tex]

the initial momentum before is 0, so the total final miomentum also equals 0. this means that since the two known partiles are traveling perpendicular, the third, which mus have mass 4kg, is traveling at an angle opposite, probably 45. However, I am slightly uncertain, since they don't give the speed, although they give with the evolution of [tex]4.2.10^5[/tex] J. I am slightly unsure what this is, do I need to calculate the velocities of the two 3kg particles using the kinetic energy formula and the energy given above?

Physics news on Phys.org
TFM said:

Homework Statement

A stationary mass of 10 kg disintegrates explosively, with the evolution of [tex]4.2.10^5[/tex] J, into three parts, two having equal masses of 3 kg. These two masses move at right angles to each other. Calculate the velocity of the third part.

Homework Equations

[tex] E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]

Momentum = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I know that this is a momentum question. And it needs to be constant, therefore

[tex] mv_{before} = mv_{after} [/tex]

the initial momentum before is 0, so the total final miomentum also equals 0. this means that since the two known partiles are traveling perpendicular, the third, which mus have mass 4kg, is traveling at an angle opposite, probably 45. However, I am slightly uncertain, since they don't give the speed, although they give with the evolution of [tex]4.2.10^5[/tex] J. I am slightly unsure what this is, do I need to calculate the velocities of the two 3kg particles using the kinetic energy formula and the energy given above?

Initially at rest looks like it means the center of mass will be preserved at no velocity.

So ∑ mv = 0

Since you have 3V1 i + 3V2 j for the 2 pieces, then you have 4V3(i,j) equals the sum of those 2.

3V1 i + 3V2 j = 4V3x i + 4V3y j

Where V3x2 + V3y2 = V32

The energy also tells you that 1/2(3)V12 + 1/2(3)V22 + 1/2(4)V32 = 4.2*105

Okay, so would I now I find V1 in terms of the energy and V 2 like so:

[tex] 4v_3 = 3v_1 + 3v_2 [/tex]

[tex] (4v_3)^2 = (3v_1)^2 + (3v_2)^2 [/tex]

[tex] (v_3)^2 = \frac{(3v_1)^2}{16} + \frac{(3v_2)^2}{16} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}3v_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}3v_2^2 + \frac{1}{2}4v_3^2 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2}3v_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}3v_2^2 + \frac{1}{2}4\frac{(3v_1)^2}{16} + \frac{(3v_2)^2}{16}
[/tex]

Rearrangeing to give:

[tex] \frac{21}{8}v_1^2 + \frac{21}{8}v_2^2 = E [/tex]

[tex] v_1^2 + v_2^2 = \frac{8}{21}E [/tex]

[tex] v_1^2 = \frac{8}{21}E - v_2^2[/tex]

That's sort of where I was heading, but I was intending that

1.5V12 + 1.5V12 + 2V32 = 4.2*105

Recognizing that V1 = -4/3V3x and V2 = -4/3V3y

1.5(-4/3V3x)2 + 1.5*(-4/3V3y)2 + 2V32 = 4.2*105

2*V3x2 + 2*V3y2 +2V32 = 4.2*105

But V3x2 + V3y2 = V32

Substituting I get 2*V32 + 2V32 = 4V32 = 4.2*105

Okay, I am not quite getting the same answer.

[tex] v_1 = \frac{4}{3}v_{3(x)} [/tex]

[tex] v_2 = \frac{4}{3}v_{3(y)} [/tex]

inserting:

[tex] \frac{3}{2}v_1^2 + \frac{3}{2}v_2^2 + 2v_3^2 = E [/tex]

[tex] \frac{3}{2}(\frac{4}{3}v_{3(x)})^2 + \frac{3}{2}(\frac{4}{3}v_{3(x)})^2 + 2v_3^2 = E [/tex]

[tex] \frac{3}{2}\frac{16}{9}v_{3(x)}^2 + \frac{3}{2}\frac{16}{9}v_{3(x)}^2 + 2v_3^2 = E [/tex]

giving:

[tex] \frac{48}{18}v_{3(x)}^2 + \frac{48}{18}v_{3(x)}^2 + 2v_3^2 = E [/tex]

?

Sorry, I jotted down the 4/3 without squaring. You have the right equation. I was apparently more focused on the method.

Well, it gives me a nice answer of 300m/s. This seems rather big, though...

TFM said:
Well, it gives me a nice answer of 300m/s. This seems rather big, though...

Roughing it out V1 = V2 ~ V3

So roughly speaking the masses are moving with similar velocities, which suggests that

420,000 J ~ 1/2*Σ m * V2

V2 ~ 84,000 or

V ~ 290 m/s

This isn't so far from the calculated 239, 319, 319 now is it?

Nope, not too bad at all.

Many Thanks, LowlyPion :smile:

1. What is an explosive particle?

An explosive particle is a small piece of material, such as a chemical compound, that has the potential to rapidly release energy in the form of heat, light, sound, and/or pressure. These particles can be solid, liquid, or gas and are typically designed to cause a controlled explosion for a specific purpose.

2. How does an explosion create momentum?

An explosion creates momentum by rapidly releasing a large amount of energy in a short period of time. This energy is then transferred to surrounding particles, causing them to move and gain momentum. The direction and magnitude of the momentum depends on the direction and force of the explosion.

3. What factors affect the momentum of an explosion?

The momentum of an explosion can be affected by several factors, including the type and amount of explosive material, the confinement of the explosion, and the surrounding environment. The shape and size of the explosive particle can also impact the direction and force of the explosion, and therefore, its resulting momentum.

4. How is explosive particle momentum measured?

The momentum of an explosion is typically measured in terms of the force exerted by the explosion, which is usually expressed in units of joules or newtons. This force can be measured using specialized instruments, such as pressure gauges, or by observing the effects of the explosion on surrounding objects.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding explosive particle momentum?

Understanding explosive particle momentum is crucial in many fields, such as military and defense, mining, demolition, and pyrotechnics. It can also be applied in research and development of new explosives, as well as in safety measures to prevent accidental explosions. Additionally, knowledge of explosive particle momentum can help in the investigation and analysis of explosions, such as those caused by industrial accidents or acts of terrorism.