Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential distribution word problem

1. Dec 25, 2012 #1
    The Information Systems Audit and Control Association surveyed office workers to learn about the anticipated usage of office computers for holiday shopping. Assume that the number of hours a worker spends doing holiday shopping on an office computer follows an exponential distribution.

a) The study reported that there is a .53 probability that a worker uses the office computer for holiday shopping 5 hours or less. Is the mean time spent using an office computer for holiday shopping closest to 5.8,6.2,6.6, or 7 hours?

b) Using the mean time from part a), whats the probability that a worker uses the office computer for holiday shopping more than 10 hours?

c) What is the probability that a worker uses the office computer fr holiday shopping between 4 and 8 hours?

I just dont know how to calculate the mean. Once i get that I'll be able to do parts b) and c). Any help with part a) will be very helpful.thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you know the general form of the exponential distribution?

4. Dec 26, 2012 #3
    f(x)= 1/a (e)^ -x/a
    where a is the mean?

5. Dec 28, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good. In terms of time, you may prefer: $$p(t)=\frac{1}{\tau}e^{t/\tau}$$... where ##\tau## is the mean.

Can you turn that into an expression for the probability that the time is less than some specified value T : $$p(t<T)=\cdots$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook