Mean and var of an exponential distribution using Fourier transforms

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Master1022
Messages
590
Reaction score
116
Homework Statement
Derive the mean and the variance of the exponential distribution using the Fourier transform
Relevant Equations
## FT[f(t)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-j\omega t} dt ##
Hi,

I was just thinking about different ways to use the Fourier transform in other areas of mathematics. I am not sure whether this is the correct forum, but it is related to probability so I thought I ought to put it here.

Question: Is the following method an appropriate way to calculate the mean and variance of the exponential distribution? Have I overlooked any technicalities to get to the result?

I know that the standard proof isn't hard, but I was wondering whether there are faster ways (saves having to do the integration by parts)

Approach:
So we use the following principles for the Fourier transform:
## FT[f(t)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-j\omega t} dt = F(\omega) ##
## FT[t^n f(t)] = j^n \frac{d^n F}{d\omega^n} ##

Using the second relation, we can see that:
$$ E[f(t)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t f(t) dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} tf(t) e^{-j(0) t} dt = j \frac{d F}{d\omega} |_{\omega = 0} $$
and
$$ E[f^2] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t^2 f(t) dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} tf(t) e^{-j(0) t} dt = j^2 \frac{d^2 F}{d\omega^2} |_{\omega = 0} $$

We have ## f(t) = \lambda e^{-\lambda t} u(t) ## (0 for ## t < 0 ##) and we have the standard result that ## FT[e^{-at} u(t)] = \frac{1}{a+j\omega} ##. Therefore,
$$ FT[ \lambda e^{-\lambda t} u(t)] = \frac{\lambda}{\lambda+j\omega} $$
and
$$ E[f] = FT[ \lambda t e^{-\lambda t} u(t)] = j \frac{d }{d\omega} \left( \frac{\lambda}{\lambda+j\omega} \right)|_{\omega = 0} = \frac{\lambda}{(\lambda + j \omega)^2}|_{\omega = 0} = \frac{1}{\lambda} $$
Now we can do
$$ E[f^2] = FT[ \lambda t^2 e^{-\lambda t} u(t)] = j^2 \frac{d^2 }{d\omega^2} \left( \frac{\lambda}{\lambda+j\omega} \right)|_{\omega = 0} = \frac{2 \lambda}{(\lambda + j \omega)^3}|_{\omega = 0} = \frac{2}{\lambda^2} $$

Finally we can use: ## Var[f] = E[f^2] - (E[f])^2 = \frac{2}{\lambda^2} - \frac{1}{\lambda^2} = \frac{1}{\lambda^2} ##

which yields the expected result.

Have I overlooked any details along the way or is this a valid way to derive the required quantities?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good. You can take a look at how the characteristic function and the moment generating function of a probability distribution relate to each other and to it's Fourier transform for more insight.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Master1022
jambaugh said:
That looks good. You can take a look at how the characteristic function and the moment generating function of a probability distribution relate to each other and to it's Fourier transform for more insight.
Dear @jambaugh , thank you very much for responding! I will definitely look into those areas.

For anyone else looking at this forum, please note there is a slight typo in the post when I was copy and pasting the latex. The result is correct. The integral for the ## E[f^2] ## should read (I forgot the ## t^2 ## in the middle integral and instead left it as ## t ## when I copied the code from the ## E[f] ## integral):

$$ E[f^2] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t^2 f(t) dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} t^2 f(t) e^{-j(0) t} dt = j^2 \frac{d^2 F}{d\omega^2} |_{\omega = 0} $$