Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Problem (maybe on Negative Binomial Distribution)

1. Aug 25, 2014 #1
    The following problem is from "Probability and Statistics in Engineering - Hines, Montgomery"

A potential customer enters an automobile dealership every hour. The probability of a salesperson concluding a transaction is 0.10. She is determined to keep working until she has sold three cars. What is the probability that she will have to work exactly 8 hours? More than 8 hours?

Soln: I have done it. Don't know whether the process is correct. Also I think the answer is low in value. Want to get your opinion.

She will have to work exactly 8 hours means - She will sell the last car at 8th hour and stop working.

The probability of selling a car at 8th hour (any hour) = 0.1. Thus we have got the last hour calculated.
    We have the preceding 7 hours. Two cars will be sold at any two of the 7 hours and for remaining 5 hours no car will be sold.
    Probability of that = 7C2 . (0.1)2 . (0.9)5 = 0.124
    Total Probability = 0.124 . 0.1 (for last hour) = 0.0124

I am trying the 2nd part.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2
    OK, here's the 2nd part -

P(working more than 8 hours) = P(selling less than 3 cars in 8 hours)
    = P(selling 0 car in 8 hours) + P(selling 1 car in 8 hours) + P(selling 2 cars in 8 hours)
    = 8C0 . (0.1)0 . (0.9)8 + 8C1 . (0.1)1 . (0.9)7 + 8C2 . (0.1)2 . (0.9)6
    = 0.962

4. Aug 25, 2014 #3

Ken G

Gold Member

It all looks right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook