1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Exponential of hypercomplex numbers

1. Aug 8, 2018 #1
    The exponential of a complex number is a complex number. Does this extent to the quaternions and the octonions? Does the exponential of a quaternion give a quaternion? Does the exponential of an octonion give an octonion? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2018 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

try the infinite series definition of exponential. what happens?

4. Aug 9, 2018 #3
    The Taylor series for the exponential is,

[itex]{e^x} = 1 + \frac{x}{{1!}} + \frac{{{x^2}}}{{2!}} + \frac{{{x^3}}}{{3!}} + \frac{{{x^4}}}{{4!}} + ...[/itex]

So obviously the linear approximation for the exponential will be the same as the exponent. If the exponent is a quaternion, then the linear approximation will be a quaternion, and same goes for the octonions. However, the quaternions and octonions do not commute. I think this means that you can still get a quadratic approximation (correct me if I'm wrong), but odd numbered exponents will have two ways of being expressed, depending on whether you multiply from the left or right. So I don't know what to say about this.

5. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM #4
    I learn from Wikipedia that a quaternion can be written generally as

[itex]q = {x_0} + i{x_1} + j{x_2} + k{x_3}[/itex],

where [itex]{x_0}[/itex], [itex]{x_1}[/itex], [itex]{x_2}[/itex], [itex]{x_3}[/itex] are real numbers. And [itex]{i^2} = {j^2} = {k^2} = - 1[/itex]

Its conjugation is written,

[itex]{q^*} = {x_0} - i{x_1} - j{x_2} - k{x_3}[/itex].

Its norm can be written,

[itex]\left\| q \right\| = \sqrt {q{q^*}} = \sqrt {{x_0}^2 + {x_1}^2 + {x_2}^2 + {x_3}^2} [/itex].

But q can also be written as a scalar plus a vector as,

[itex]q = {x_0} + \vec v[/itex],

where,

[itex]\vec v = i{x_1} + j{x_2} + k{x_3}[/itex].

Then the exponential of a quaternion, q, can be written as,

[itex]{e^q} = \sum\limits_{n = 0}^\infty {\frac{{{q^n}}}{{n!}} = {e^{{x_0}}}(\cos \left\| {\vec v} \right\|} + \frac{{\vec v}}{{\left\| {\vec v} \right\|}}\sin \left\| {\vec v} \right\|)[/itex].

So since the [itex]{\vec v}[/itex] carries the i, j, k components, it does indeed seem that the exponential of a quaternion is a quaternion.

I assume the same construction leads to the fact that the exponential of a octonion is an octonion.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted