How can I go from sine to cosine using exponential numbers?

In summary, the circular trigonometric functions ##cos(\omega)## and ##sin(\omega)## can be expressed in terms of exponentials as ##\frac{e^{j \omega } + e^{-j \omega }}{2}## and ##\frac{e^{j \omega } - e^{-j \omega }}{2 j}## respectively. This can be shown by evaluating the second term of the exponentials and converting them into complex numbers.
amama
##cos(\omega)## is

$$\frac{e^{j \omega } + e^{-j \omega }}{2}$$

##sin(\omega)## is

$$\frac{e^{j \omega } - e^{-j \omega }}{2 j}$$

I also know that ##cos(\omega - \pi / 2) = sin(\omega)##.

I've been trying to show this using exponentials, but I can't seem to manipulate one form into the other. Specifically, I can't figure out how to manipulate

$$\frac{e^{j (\omega - \pi / 2)} + e^{-j( \omega - \pi / 2)}}{2}$$

into

$$\frac{e^{j \omega } - e^{-j \omega }}{2 j}$$

or the other way around.

I seem to remember from back in school that there was some trick to this, but I can't remember it. I keep getting stuck on the fact that one has a plus between the exponential terms, and one has a minus.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Write the exponentials as ##e^{j\omega} \cdot e^{...}## and then evaluate the second term.

Likes dextercioby and amama
mfb said:
Write the exponentials as ##e^{j\omega} \cdot e^{...}## and then evaluate the second term.

So simple... thanks! I kept trying to convert everything to exponentials, but after evaluating ##e^{\pi /2}## and ##e^{-\pi /2}## to ##j## and ##-j## it all worked out.

Likes mfb
Just for future reference. The circular trigonometric functions have the neat LaTex codes \sin, \cos, \tan, \cot. So compare ## sin x## or ##sin(x)## to ##\sin x##. The brackets to denote the variable are superfluous.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. How do exponential numbers relate to sine and cosine?

Exponential numbers, also known as complex numbers, can be used to represent both sine and cosine values. This is because they have both a real and imaginary component, which can be used to calculate the sine and cosine values.

2. Can I use Euler's formula to convert between sine and cosine using exponential numbers?

Yes, Euler's formula (e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x)) can be used to convert between sine and cosine using exponential numbers. This formula shows the relationship between the exponential function and the trigonometric functions.

3. What is the process for converting from sine to cosine using exponential numbers?

The process for converting from sine to cosine using exponential numbers involves using Euler's formula to express the sine value as a complex number, and then taking the real part of this complex number to get the cosine value.

4. Are there any other methods for converting between sine and cosine using exponential numbers?

Yes, there are other methods for converting between sine and cosine using exponential numbers. One method is to use the identities sin(x) = (e^(ix) - e^(-ix)) / (2i) and cos(x) = (e^(ix) + e^(-ix)) / 2, which can be derived from Euler's formula.

5. How can I apply this conversion to real-life situations?

The conversion from sine to cosine using exponential numbers is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve problems involving trigonometric functions. It can also be used in signal processing and image reconstruction applications.