Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential of (Markov Chain) Transition matrix

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I have a (markov chain) transition matrix X which I understand. In particular each row of this matrix sums to 1.

I have used this transition matrix to construct it's generator, Y. I.e. Y is the continuously compounded transition matrix,

X = exp(Y)
    X*X = exp(2Y), etc

both X and Y are matrices.

I am told that the sums of Y must sum to 0, but I can not see why this should be the case. Is it obvious?

Many Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2
    Possible hint maybe? [itex]e^0=1[/itex]

4. Oct 8, 2009 #3
    Thanks.

But I have trouble visualizing this for a matrix. Is there aproof somewhere, or a text that you can recommend which gives examples and talks about the applications of taking exponentials or logs of matrices?

Many thanks,

5. Oct 8, 2009 #4
    It is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_exponential" [Broken] right ? If you write down the power series for it you will get a pattern.

[tex]
    X = I + Y + \frac{Y^2}{2!} + \ldots
    [/tex]
    Now if you sum up the rows of X it is 1. On the right hand side you already get 1 from the identity matrix. So all contributions from the remaining terms must be zero right? So I will let you think if your condition is sufficient or necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Oct 8, 2009 #5
    Cool. Thanks a lot!

Thinking about matrices a little further. How does one raise a matrix to a decimal power. I know that in the case of an integer power:

X^n = S.M^n.S^-1

where S is the eigen vector matrix and M is the matrix with eigen values along the diagonal. Now if n is non integer, then does this still hold? Could we also do it via:

Y = X^n
    ln(Y) = n.ln(X)
    Y = exp(n.ln(X))?

much appreciated.

7. Oct 8, 2009 #6
    yes, yes

also:
    if [tex] X = S M S^{-1}[/tex] then [tex] e^X = S e^M S^{-1}[/tex], [tex] \log(X) = S \log(M) S^{-1}[/tex], etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook