Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponents and their effects on lines?

1. Feb 14, 2007 #1
    Why is it that in a formula: f(x)=2x^4.....), why is it that the exponent actually BENDS the line that the fomula makes when it is graphed? I know about the high and low point in algebra two (that's what i'm taking), but i just want to know WHY does an exponent BEND the line?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2007 #2
    because x^4 grows faster at x2 than at x1, if x2 > x1.

in contrast, x^1 grows at same rate everywhere. you might try to read this without waiting for them to teach you that, if you really need to know.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  4. Feb 16, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

Your question is a bit like asking : "Why is 2 times 2 more than twice as large as 1 times 1.
  5. Feb 16, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Please do not confuse a line with a curve. An equation of two variables, both to the first power, represents a line. If either or both variables are raised to other powers than 1, then this represents a curve.
  6. Feb 21, 2007 #5
    A line is only the special case where a polynomial is of degree 1, which is of the form mx + b Any exponent different than 1 will not give a straight line as the rate of change cannot possibly be constant (the geometrical and analytical definition of a straight line). For instance, for the equation y = x, you have

x y
    1 1
    2 2
    3 3

Here, the difference in y between two consecutive x is always constant, it's equal to 1. For y = x^2 we have,

x y
    1 1
    2 4
    3 9

Here, 9 - 4 is not equal to 4 -1, so the rate of change is dependant on the interval on which you evaluate it.
  7. Mar 16, 2007 #6
    Ohhh...okay. so, like the slope formula, y=mx+b, if the x is squared or has a greater degree than 1, then it's like the 'rise and run' of the thing becomes different, Like, as you showed, instead of it being a rise (y) of 1, 2,3 and a run (x) or 1,2,3; it is now a rise (y) or 1,4,9 and a run (x) of 1,2,3. If it's graphed, then the line actually begins to curve, because its rise and run are no longer constant 1,2,3. is that right? i think it is..
  8. Mar 16, 2007 #7
    Yes it is. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?