Expose a Hidden Message w/ Polarisation Filters

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a special type of film to encode hidden messages that can only be revealed when viewed through a polarising filter. The suggested film is PAN F PLUS 35MM, which is a high contrast, sharp and fine-grained black and white film. However, it is mentioned that standard photographic film is not sensitive to polarization and there are other ways to encode hidden messages on it. The conversation also mentions the process of making polarized film, which involves stretching plastic film to create elongated domains that give the film its polarization capability.
Phil the tinkerer
I want to expose a very fine grain film where an image disguises a message but when viewing the through polarising filter allows the message to be revealeded. I envisage exposing the B & W image that is light by light polarised through a positive mask of the message and simultaneously a negative mask light oppositely polarised of the same massage. The idea is the final image will have the property that in natural un polarised light appear to be a simple image but when viewed through a polarising filter the message will be seen. Is what I suggest possible?

Science news on Phys.org
Ordinary film will not preserve the polarization.

Likes Phil the tinkerer
Is there a kind of film which will preserve polarisation? The film I have had suggested is:-

PAN F PLUS 35MM​

35mm, ISO 50, high contrast, super sharp black & white film with very fine grain. Ideal for studio photography and bright, natural light.

• Slow speed ISO 50
  • Exceptionally fine grain
  • Outstanding resolution & sharpness

As DrC said, standard photographic film is sensitive to light intensity only, not to polarization. If you want to encode hidden messages, there are other ways to do that on standard photographic film. Have you looked into any of those?

Thank you for answering. No I haven't where can I learn about those? What search term would you suggest? do you know how polarised film is made? My impression from a long time ago it consists of lines for linear and circles for radial. How close together are the lines? or is this a metaphor for some quantum type effect?

Phil the tinkerer said:
No I haven't where can I learn about those?
Just try some general Google search terms. Try stuff like Hiding information in images and similar. IIRC one of the techniques is to superpose low-level intensity variations in the image that are not apparent to the naked eye, but carry information (like a low-contrast QR code added to the image that people will not normally notice).

Phil the tinkerer said:
do you know how polarised film is made?
You could search on Poloroid lens or similar to get some good info. IIRC, one way is to heat and stretch the plastic film to make the domains elongated, which gives the film an overall polarization capability in the long direction.

1. What is the purpose of using polarisation filters to expose a hidden message?

The purpose of using polarisation filters is to reveal a hidden message that is embedded in a polarised image. This technique takes advantage of the properties of polarised light to selectively block or transmit certain wavelengths of light, allowing the hidden message to become visible.

2. How do polarisation filters work to expose a hidden message?

Polarisation filters work by only allowing light waves that are oriented in a specific direction to pass through. When two polarisation filters are placed on top of each other at a 90-degree angle, they block all light from passing through. However, when a third polarisation filter is placed in between the first two at a 45-degree angle, it allows a hidden message to become visible by filtering out the polarised light in the image.

3. Can any image be used to hide a message with polarisation filters?

Yes, any image can be used to hide a message with polarisation filters as long as it contains polarised light. This can include images with reflections, certain types of printed materials, or even images on electronic screens.

4. Is it possible to decode a hidden message without polarisation filters?

No, it is not possible to decode a hidden message without polarisation filters. The filters are necessary to selectively block or transmit certain wavelengths of light in order to reveal the hidden message. Without the use of polarisation filters, the message will remain hidden and invisible to the naked eye.

5. Are there any limitations to using polarisation filters to expose a hidden message?

While polarisation filters can be an effective way to reveal a hidden message, there are some limitations to consider. The message may only be visible from certain angles or under specific lighting conditions. Additionally, the filters may not work on all types of images, such as those that do not contain polarised light. It is important to carefully test and adjust the filters to ensure the best results.