1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Express 3x3 matrix as projection + shearing

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Think of the following matrix

[itex]
    A =
    \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    a & b & c \\
    d & e & f \\
    g & h & i \end{array} \right)
    [/itex]

as a transformatiom of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] onto itself. Describe [itex]A[/itex] as a projection onto a plane followed by a shearing motion of the plane.

2. The attempt at a solution

So the problem basically asks to rewrite [itex]A[/itex] as a product [itex]A = BC[/itex] where [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]C[/itex] are 3-by-3 matrices, [itex]B[/itex] representing a projection onto a plane and [itex]C[/itex] representing a shearing of such plane.

Since [itex]B[/itex] is a projection it must be that [itex]B = B^2[/itex] and that is pretty much all I know. I can't seem to find precise definition of shearing as a transformation. What can we say about [itex]C[/itex]. How do we proceed after that?

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2
  4. Feb 25, 2012 #3

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

Im confused about how this could be true for a non-singular matrix, since all vectors in R3 seem to get mapped to 1 plane..

5. Feb 25, 2012 #4

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

EDIT: never mind this was wrong

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook