1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Express a wave function as a combination of spherical harmonics

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron in a hydrogen atom is in a state described by the wave function:

ψ(r,θ,φ)=R(r)[cos(θ)+e(1+cos(θ))]

What is the probability that measurement of L2 will give 6ℏ2 and measurement of Lz will give ℏ?

2. Relevant equations

The spherical harmonics

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that I need to express the part in (θ,φ) as a linear combination of spherical harmonics. Then I would normalize my wave function, and the coefficients would lead me to the probability I need.

My problem is to express ψ in terms of the spherical harmonics Ylm. Is there a general method to do so? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2
    The way I would do it is by looking at [itex]\mathbf{L}^2|l \mspace{8mu} m> = \hbar^2 l(l+1) |l\mspace{8mu} m> [/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{L}_z |l \mspace{8mu}m> = \hbar m |l\mspace{8mu} m>[/itex]. And looking at a table of spherical harmonics. There is no need to normalize them since they are already normalized.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You could find the projection of the angular part onto the state ##\vert l\ m \rangle## by calculating ##\langle l\ m \vert \psi\rangle##. Seems to be kind of a pain though. I'd just futz around with the spherical harmonics to find a linear combination that works. For example, the ##e^{i\phi}## part has to come from an m=1 state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook