1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Express dH(V,T) as a state function

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1

grandpa2390

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the entire problem is to show that the enthalpy as a function of volume and temperature can be expressed in the form:....
    I am having trouble with the first step.

2. Relevant equations
    dH = TdS + VdP
    ##dH = (\frac{∂H}{∂S})dS + (\frac{∂H}{∂P})dP##

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the second one is the state function but I can't find anything definitive.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2
    I don't think this is what they want you to do. I think what they want is to start out with dH = TdS+VdP, and then use the the chain rule to express dS(V,T) and dP(V,T). The partial of S with respect to T is known in terms of Cv. The partial of S with respect to V is obtained from a Maxwell relationship.

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3

grandpa2390

Gold Member

I'm glad you're here. I'm not sure what I am supposed to do exactly. I'm trying to figure it out.

the problem is to show that enthalpy as a function of volume and temperature can be expressed in the form

##dH = (P + π_T - \frac{1}{k_T})dV + (C_v + V(\frac{∂P}{∂T})_v)dT##

by following the steps below.

the first step is to express dH(V,T) as a state function.

I thought the state functions were something to memorize.
    I'm going to write out what you said, and think about it. Because that is the first step. thanks ;)

if you want the rest of the steps, I'll post them. I just don't want to seem like I am asking for the solution.

5. Apr 7, 2016 #4
    Yes. Seeing that solution, the steps that I recommended to follow are perfect.

Chet

6. Apr 7, 2016 #5

grandpa2390

Gold Member

Forgive me it's been so long I'm going to retake multivariable in the summer. But I don't know how to use the chain rule here.
    I know if I was doing the chain rule of y = x*y it would d
    ok. It's been so long since I took multivariable, I plan on retaking it during the summer. so I am going to have to look up what you mean by the chain rule in this case.
    I'll be back with questions after I give your suggestion a good attempt :)

right now I only know the f'g + g'f, but I don't know how to use it here

7. Apr 7, 2016 #6

grandpa2390

Gold Member

are you saying to use the chain rule on dH to get the dS and dP?

8. Apr 7, 2016 #7
    No. But you can also start with your equation for dU interns of dT and dV, and add PdV+VdP to get dH.

9. Apr 7, 2016 #8

grandpa2390

Gold Member

ok so ##dH = dU + PdV + VdP##

Ah!!! I got it! :)

I divide by dV and then use relations and identities to get the term in front of the dV

10. Apr 7, 2016 #9

grandpa2390

Gold Member

but I'm not getting why this goes in parenthesis before the dV.

what is the step in between ?

wait a minute... no nvm. I thought I had something for a moment...

well I have that mu_T = -dV + VdT ...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  11. Apr 7, 2016 #10

grandpa2390

Gold Member

I don't know. I am racking my brains to figure out the why you recommended works. I just can't see it. : (

and so I can't duplicate it for the other term

if I divide the entire dH = dU + PdV + VdP by dT then I get the the second term except for a PVa as well...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  12. Apr 7, 2016 #11

grandpa2390

Gold Member

edit: I think what threw me off this entire time was that my professor wrote this in the question: ##dH = U + PV##, and I didn't know how to work that in. but I am questioning now if it isn't supposed to be ##H = U + PV## because that is what it was in the previous question...

well maybe:

##dH = U + PV##

##(\frac{∂H}{∂V}) = (\frac{∂U}{∂V})+P(\frac{∂V}{∂V})+V(\frac{∂P}{∂V})## which of course simplifies to the left

for the second term
    ##dH = U + PV##

can I do this?

##(\frac{dH}{dT})_v = (\frac{∂U}{∂T}) + (\frac{∂(PV)}{∂T})##
    v is a constant so
    ##(\frac{∂H}{∂T})_v = (\frac{∂U}{∂T}) + V(\frac{∂(P)}{∂T})##

##= C_v + V(\frac{∂(P)}{∂T})##

in both cases multiply both sides by the ∂V and ∂T at the end to get the dT and dV in each term?

This is the best I can come up with so far.

so with the revelation that my professor probably made a typo on the problem sheet, I am now thinking that this problem was real simple. If I want to express as a function of volume and temperature, take the function and take the derivative with respect to volume and temperature.

13. Apr 8, 2016 #12

grandpa2390

Gold Member

if that is correct
    the second part is to show that for an ideal gas it simplifies to dH = C_p dT
    I got the C_p dT part
    but the first term simplifies to P-(1/P) dV. the only thing I can think is that since P is a constant, it is equal to zero due to the dV. but I'm not sure if that makes sense...

14. Apr 8, 2016 #13
    I know that you are familiar with the following 3 equations:
    $$dU=C_vdT+\left[T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V-P\right]dV$$
    $$dH=dU+PdV+VdP$$
    and
    $$dP=\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right)_TdV$$

Just combine them, and you will have what you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted