Expressing h in terms of x Cone/Sphere non-calc

  • Thread starter Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Terms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 24K views
thomas49th
Messages
645
Reaction score
0
How do I do:
Question21002.jpg


the formula for volume of a cone is [tex]\frac{1}{3} \pi r^{2}h[/tex]
and for sphere volume is [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi r^{3}[/tex]

It says express h in terms of x, so the equation will look somthing like

x =

Can someone give me help on how to rearrange this formula?
Thx :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
equate the volumes and replace r with appropriate values
 
thomas49th said:
How do I do:

the formula for volume of a cone is [tex]\frac{1}{3} \pi r^{2}h[/tex]
and for sphere volume is [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi r^{3}[/tex]

It says express h in terms of x, so the equation will look somthing like

x =

Can someone give me help on how to rearrange this formula?

You don't have an equation to rearrange yet! You need to express the volumes of the cone and sphere in terms of the variables you are given in this question. Note that "r" for the cone is not equal to "r" for the sphere in this case. What is each one equal to?

Once you have found this, you know that the volumes of the two objects are equal. This should enable you to obtain an equation.
 
[tex]v = \frac{1}{3} \pi x^{2}h[/tex]


[tex]v = \frac{4}{3} \pi (2x)^{3}[/tex]
 
Ok, now the volumes are the same, so can you combine these into one equation?
 
what u need to do now is to equal the two right sides, like doing v=v, just substitute the both expressions for v. then try to multiply by 3 and then divide by (pi*x^2) and you will get h in terms of x.
 
thomas49th said:
It says express h in terms of x, so the equation will look somthing like

x =


Thx :biggrin:

and the equation will look something like

h=
 
[tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi x^{3}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{3} \pi x^{2}h[/tex]


[tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi 8x^{3}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{3} \pi x^{2}h[/tex]

divide by [tex]\frac{1}{3} \pi x^{2}[/tex]

gives

[tex]h = 32x[/tex]

is that right?
 
how come I can't edit these posts anymore... the edit button is gone. I can do it with other threads. I want to edit post 8, change [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi x^{3}[/tex]
to [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi 2x^{3}[/tex]

EDIT: I can edit post, but not my previous
 
thomas49th said:
how come I can't edit these posts anymore... the edit button is gone. I can do it with other threads. I want to edit post 8, change [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi x^{3}[/tex]
to [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi 2x^{3}[/tex]

EDIT: I can edit post, but not my previous

You can only edit upto 24 hours after posting.