1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing start of a vector using a point on the vector

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1
    Hi guys. I hope this is the right thread for my question. The question is for my project and I can assure you it's not my homework. I know the solution to my problem isn't that complicated but I just lost my self with the problem and I don't have any one to talk with about my problem.

Anyhow, here is my problem. I need to find the forces between two rods. Each rod is constructed from 3 particles (O--O--O) and the potential between the rod is given by:
    [tex]U = f(\bar r) \cdot g(\bar u_1 - \bar u_2) [/tex].

Where

[tex] \bar r = \bar r_{22} - r_{21} [/tex]

That is, [tex] r [/tex] is the distance between the two middle particles. [tex] \bar u_i [/tex] is give by

[tex] \bar u_i = \bar r_{i3} - \bar r_{i1} [/tex]

which means it is the vector that shows the direction of the rod. I need to find forces between the particles:

[tex] F = \frac{dU}{dr} [/tex].

My problem is with the derivative of [tex] \bar u_1 - \bar u_2 [/tex] with respect to [tex] \bar r [/tex]. I tried several ways but I alway end up with [tex] \frac{du_1}{d \bar r} - \frac{du_2}{d \bar r} [/tex].

What have I missed?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is what you should end up with. Now what is the real difficulty?

4. Jul 11, 2010 #3
    The problem is to express the derivative as a function of the distance between the two vectors.
    Thanks

5. Jul 11, 2010 #4
    Which you did. So what is the difficulty ?

6. Jul 13, 2010 #5
    I don't know how to compute the derivative. I feel like I'm missing something here

7. Aug 15, 2010 #6
    Hi, I'm bumping the problem up again.
    I'll try to clarify my problem. I need to find the forces on ball number 1 and ball number 3 of each chain. I know that it should have something with the distance between the balls ([tex]\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2[/tex]) and the angle ([tex]\theta[\tex]) but I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook