Expressing start of a vector using a point on the vector

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with finding the forces between two rods that are constructed from 3 particles each. The potential between the rods is given by a function of the distance between the two middle particles and the vectors that show the direction of the rods. The speaker is having trouble finding the derivative of these vectors with respect to the distance between the particles and is seeking clarification on how to compute this derivative. They need to find the forces on specific balls in each chain and are unsure of how to incorporate the distance between the balls and the angle into their calculations.
yotama9
Hi guys. I hope this is the right thread for my question. The question is for my project and I can assure you it's not my homework. I know the solution to my problem isn't that complicated but I just lost my self with the problem and I don't have anyone to talk with about my problem.

Anyhow, here is my problem. I need to find the forces between two rods. Each rod is constructed from 3 particles (O--O--O) and the potential between the rod is given by:
[tex]U = f(\bar r) \cdot g(\bar u_1 - \bar u_2) [/tex].

Where

[tex] \bar r = \bar r_{22} - r_{21} [/tex]

That is, [tex] r [/tex] is the distance between the two middle particles. [tex] \bar u_i [/tex] is give by

[tex] \bar u_i = \bar r_{i3} - \bar r_{i1} [/tex]

which means it is the vector that shows the direction of the rod. I need to find forces between the particles:

[tex] F = \frac{dU}{dr} [/tex].

My problem is with the derivative of [tex] \bar u_1 - \bar u_2 [/tex] with respect to [tex] \bar r [/tex]. I tried several ways but I alway end up with [tex] \frac{du_1}{d \bar r} - \frac{du_2}{d \bar r} [/tex].

What have I missed?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is what you should end up with. Now what is the real difficulty?

The problem is to express the derivative as a function of the distance between the two vectors.
Thanks

yotama9 said:
The problem is to express the derivative as a function of the distance between the two vectors.
Thanks

Which you did. So what is the difficulty ?

I don't know how to compute the derivative. I feel like I'm missing something here

Hi, I'm bumping the problem up again.
I'll try to clarify my problem. I need to find the forces on ball number 1 and ball number 3 of each chain. I know that it should have something with the distance between the balls ([tex]\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2[/tex]) and the angle ([tex]\theta[\tex]) but I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude.

What is the start of a vector?

The start of a vector is the initial point where the vector begins. It can be any point on a coordinate plane, represented by an ordered pair (x,y) or in three-dimensional space, represented by an ordered triplet (x,y,z).

How can a point on a vector be used to express the start of the vector?

A point on a vector can be used to express the start of the vector by using that point as the initial point or starting point of the vector. This point helps to determine the direction and magnitude of the vector.

What is the significance of expressing the start of a vector using a point on the vector?

Expressing the start of a vector using a point on the vector helps to accurately represent the vector's position and direction in relation to other points or objects. This method also allows for easier calculation of the vector's magnitude and direction.

Can any point on a vector be used to express the start of the vector?

Yes, any point on a vector can be used to express the start of the vector as long as it is clearly defined and consistent throughout the problem. However, it is common to choose the point at the origin (0,0) or the point where the vector intersects an axis for simplicity.