Expressing the Solution to a DE in the Form ce\alphax*sin(\betax+\gamma)

  • Thread starter Thread starter hover
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
hover
Messages
342
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Solve the DE:
y''-2y'+2y=0

and express your answer in the form

ce[tex]\alpha[/tex]x*sin([tex]\beta[/tex]x+[tex]\gamma[/tex])

where alpha = ;
and beta =

Homework Equations



y = e[tex]\lambda[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution



When you plug in the values of y into the DE and solve for lambda you get
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1+ i or 1-i

A particular solution to the DE is
y(x)= e(1+i)x

when this is expanded using Euler's formula to solve the general solution to the DE, I get

y(x) = k1excos(x)+k2exsin(x)

When looking at the form of the solution they want me to express my answer in I feel like that are asking for

k2exsin(x) = ce[tex]\alpha[/tex]x*sin([tex]\beta[/tex]x+[tex]\gamma[/tex])

alpha = 1 but how do I get beta? I don't think I can express my answer with gamma

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you rewrite

[tex]y(x) = \sqrt{k_1^2 + k_2^2}~ e^x \left( \frac{k_1}{\sqrt{k_1^2 + k_2^2}} \cos(x)+\frac{k_2}{\sqrt{k_1^2 + k_2^2}} \sin(x) \right),[/tex]

can you guess at how the angle [tex]\gamma[/tex] is defined?
 
To me it seems that beta=1 and gamma is such that cos(gamma)=k2, sin(gamma)=k1. All these having the trigonemetric identity sin(bx+g)=sin(g)cos(bx)+cos(g)sin(bx).
 
isn't γ an entirely arbitrary constant, exactly like c ? :confused: