Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Expression a vector in different basis

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the vector [tex]\vec A[/tex] whose origin is [tex]\vec r[/tex].
    1)Express the vector [tex]\vec A[/tex] in a basis of Cartesian coordinates, cylindrical and spherical ones.
    2)Repeat part 1) if the origin is [tex]\vec r[/tex] + [tex]\vec r_0[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    None given.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1)In Cartesian coordinates, [tex]\vec A=(r_x+a_x,r_y+a_y, r_z+a_z)[/tex]. If we change the origin as in part 2), then [tex]\vec A=(r_x+r_{0x}+a_x,r_y+r_{0y}+a_y, r_z+r_{0z}+a_z)[/tex].

For cylindrical coordinates, I've sketched a 3 dimensional graphic but I don't see how I can express [tex]\vec A[/tex]. Life would be easier if I could use some linear algebra maybe. I just don't know how to start and if it's a good idea.
    Thanks for any suggestion.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2
    Going from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates, we can use the transformations [tex] x = r \cos(\theta) [/tex], [tex] y = r \sin(\theta) [/tex], and, of course, [tex] z = z_{\text{cyl}}[/tex].

Now, going from cartesian to cylindrical isn't as obvious, but is still simple. For example, the radius, r, is simply [tex] r = \sqrt{x^2 +y^2} [/tex].

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_coordinate_system#Cartesian_coordinates"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Mar 13, 2010 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I think I'm stupid, I already knew this. I don't know why I didn't think about applying it. I'm going to try this tomorrow (it's too late). So what I've done so far is ok?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Mar 13, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, you've misunderstood the question. The vector A is assigned to the point r. The problem is asking you to express A in terms of the coordinate unit vectors at that point, and when it's parallel transported it to the point r+r0.

Remember that the direction of most of the unit vectors, like [itex]\hat{r}[/itex], depends on what point you're talking about.

6. Mar 14, 2010 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

I'm not sure I'm understanding. I've sketched the point r and from it I drew [tex]\vec A[/tex]. I mean, I took the origin of [tex]\vec A[/tex] being r.
    At point r, the unit vectors in Cartesian coordinates are the same as in the origin 0. Or not? I mean [tex]\hat i[/tex], [tex]\hat j[/tex] and [tex]\hat k[/tex]. So [tex]\vec A[/tex] would be [tex]a_x \hat i + a_y \hat j + a_z \hat k[/tex]. Hmm I don't think so...
    Also, I don't understand when you talked about "when it's parallel transported it to the point...".

In fact I don't understand what they ask me to do. It doesn't look so hard, but I don't know what to do.

7. Mar 14, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's right, actually.
    I just mean the vector A is moved to the new point without changing its magnitude and direction.
    It's probably easiest to explain using an example. I'll just use R2 to keep it simple. Let A=(1,0). Now consider the points P=(1,1) and Q=(2,0) in the xy plane; in polar coordinates, you'd have rP=sqrt(2), θP=π/4 for P and rQ=2, θQ=0 for Q. Therefore, at P, you get:

[tex]\hat{r}_P=(\cos\theta_P,\sin\theta_P)=\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\hat{\theta}_P=(-\cos\theta_P,\sin\theta_P)=\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}=1\hat{i}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\hat{r}_P-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\hat{\theta}_P[/tex]

and at Q, you get:

[tex]\hat{r}_Q=(\cos\theta_Q,\sin\theta_Q)=(1,0)[/tex]

[tex]\hat{\theta}_Q=(-\cos\theta_Q,\sin\theta_Q)=(0,1)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}=1\hat{i}=1\hat{r}_Q[/tex]

8. Mar 14, 2010 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks, this was really useful!

I'm having a problem. So in Cartesian coordinates, we've said that [tex]a_x \hat i + a_y \hat j + a_z \hat k[/tex]. Now I want to do cylindrical ones.
    I've sketched the vector r. Considering only the x-y plane, I have that [tex]\hat r =(\cos \varphi, \sin \varphi)[/tex] and [tex]\hat \phi=(-\cos \varphi, \sin \varphi)[/tex]. Now I must write [tex]\vec A[/tex] as a linear combination of [tex]\hat r[/tex] and [tex]\hat \varphi[/tex].
    I already know that [tex]a_z=a_z \hat k[/tex]. It's clear that [tex]a_x[/tex] can be written as a (linear ?) combination of only [tex]\hat r[/tex] and [tex]\hat \varphi[/tex]. To me it's clear it will be something of the form [tex]B\hat r - B\hat \phi[/tex]. Is B worth [tex]\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi}[/tex]?
    If so, then I'd get [tex]\vec A=\left ( \frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat r-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat \varphi, \frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi} \hat \varphi +\frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi} \hat r, a_z \hat k \right )[/tex]. I'd appreciate a feedback. I'm not confident at all.

9. Mar 14, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks good except for the way you wrote some stuff down.
    You're mixing up the notation. If you include the unit vectors explicitly, you should write it as a sum:

[tex]\vec A=\left(\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat r-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat \varphi\right)+\left(\frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi} \hat \varphi +\frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi} \hat r\right)+ a_z \hat k[/tex]

After combining terms, you get

[tex]\vec A=\left(\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} + \frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi}\right) \hat r+\left(-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi}+\frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi}\right) \hat \varphi + a_z \hat k[/tex]

Now if you write it as an ordered triplet [itex](r,\varphi,z)[/itex], you'd say:

[tex]\vec A=\left(\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} + \frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi},-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi}+\frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi}, a_z \right)[/tex]

10. Mar 14, 2010 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah yes, you're right. I can't believe I got it right. I'm going to tackle the rest. Thanks a lot for all.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook