1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching coordinate system of a field

1. Apr 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Say I have some sort of a vector field in the cylindrical coordinate system [tex] \vec{F}(r, \Theta, z) = f(\vec{A}(r,\Theta,z),\vec{B}(r,\Theta,z)) [/tex]

How do I switch to the Cartesian coordinates? More precisely, how do I transform [tex] A_r = g(A_x,A_y,A_z), A_\Theta = h(A_x,A_y,A_z)[/tex] and so on?
    2. Relevant equations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that [tex]{\left(A_z\right)}_{cyl.} = {\left(A_z\right)}_{Cart.} [/tex]
    and similarly for B and that
    [tex] A_x = A_r\cdot\cos(\Theta), A_y = A_r\cdot\sin(\Theta [/tex].

However, what do I do with [tex] A_\Theta[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\vec{A}=A_r~\hat{r}+A_{\theta}~\hat{\theta}##
    ##\hat{r}=\cos \theta~\hat{x}+\sin \theta~\hat{y}## and ##\hat{\theta}=-\sin \theta~\hat{x}+\cos \theta~\hat{y}##
    Therefore,
    ##\vec{A}=A_r~(\cos \theta~\hat{x}+\sin \theta~\hat{y})+A_{\theta}~(-\sin \theta~\hat{x}+\cos \theta~\hat{y})##
    From which
    ##A_x = A_r~\cos \theta - A_{\theta}~\sin \theta~;~~ A_y = A_r~\sin \theta+A_{\theta}\cos \theta##
    Is this what you are looking for?

4. Apr 13, 2017 #3
    I don't see [tex]A_z[/tex] in your equations. Why is that? Also, one can express [tex]\Theta[/tex] as [tex] = \arctan(\frac{y}{x})[/tex] correct? But what's the meaning of it when x = 0? If I am solving a physics problem then surely the set of points for which x = 0 aren't necessarily impossible.

5. Apr 13, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't see Az because it is the same in Cartesian and cylindrical coordinates. I omitted it to save time, but you can assume it's there.
    What makes you think these points might be impossible? When x = 0, the vector points either along the +y axis in which case θ = π/2 or along the -y axis in which case θ = 3π/2.

6. Apr 13, 2017 #5
    Thank you for your answers. One more question. Assuming [tex]A_x = A_r\cdot\cos(\Theta), A_\Theta = 0[/tex] If I wish to find how Ax changes with time is the following approach correct?
    [tex] \frac{dA_x}{dt} = \frac{dA_r}{dt}\cdot\cos(\Theta) - A_r\cdot\sin(\Theta)\cdot\frac{d\Theta}{dt}[/tex]

7. Apr 13, 2017 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is correct. It says that when ##A_x## changes with time, it can happen either because ##A_r## changes or because the angle changes or both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted