Expression for induced ε from reducing Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the induced electromotive force (ε) in a shrinking circular loop made of flexible, conducting wire, which is perpendicular to a steady, uniform magnetic field (B). The solution involves using the magnetic flux equation, Faraday's law, and differentiation. The participant also mentions the need to express r2 in a specific form and reminds the other party to review their calculus skills.
quietriot1006

Homework Statement

A circular loop made from a flexible, conducting wire is shrinking. Its radius as a function of time is
render?tex=r+%3D+r_0+e%5E%7B-%5Cbeta+t%7D.gif
. The loop is perpendicular to a steady, uniform magnetic field B .
Find an expression for the induced ε in the loop at time t.
Give your answer in terms of
render?tex=r_0.gif
render?tex=%5Cbeta.gif
, t, B and appropriate constants.

Homework Equations

Magnetic Flux (Φm)=A*B
I(induced) = ε / R
ε =Absolute value of (dΦ/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first get the magnetic flux using the Area * Magnetic field. Area is (pi)r^2 * B. I use this in faradays law with dt but i don't get the write expression. I end up getting

ε(t)=(B(pi)(r_0*e^(beta*t))^2)/t

I know I am differentiating somewhere wrong but i don't know where.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the derivative of

f(t) = eat

Wouldnt that just be a'(t)e^at?

Uh, no. I meant for "a" to be a constant, sorry about the confusion.

If you can express r2 in the form:

r2 = ro2eat,​

and if you can take the derivative of eat correctly, then you'll be able to figure out what dA/dt is.

wouldn't the derivative of f(t)=e^at be just (1/a)e^at? I am not really sure and i don't understand how you were able to square the equation?

No, the derivative is
a eat

You'll have to figure out an expression for A, using A=∏r2, and differentiate it. I mentioned the whole eat thing because the expression for A could be put in that form.

It sounds like you're having trouble remembering calculus ... has it been a while since you took it?

1. What is the expression for induced ε from reducing loop?

The expression for induced ε from reducing loop is given by ε = -N(ΔΦ/Δt), where N is the number of turns in the loop, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the time interval.

2. How is the expression for induced ε from reducing loop derived?

The expression for induced ε from reducing loop is derived from Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction, which states that the induced electromotive force (ε) is equal to the negative rate of change of magnetic flux (ΔΦ) through a closed loop with respect to time (Δt).

3. Can the expression for induced ε from reducing loop be used for any type of loop?

Yes, the expression for induced ε from reducing loop is applicable for any type of loop, as long as it is a closed loop and experiences a change in magnetic flux.

4. What is the significance of the negative sign in the expression for induced ε from reducing loop?

The negative sign in the expression for induced ε from reducing loop indicates the direction of the induced current. The current will flow in such a direction that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

5. How is the expression for induced ε from reducing loop used in practical applications?

The expression for induced ε from reducing loop is used in various practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It helps in understanding the behavior of induced currents and designing efficient electrical devices.