1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressions for the energy density of electromagnetic waves

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    I hope this is the right forum for a first year undergraduate problem!
    The problem I've been working on is here: http://i.imgur.com/IhTtL.png

I think that I have the correct answers, but I'm not sure. I think that the energy densities of the E and B field components will be (0.5)(ε0)(E^2) and (B^2)/(2μ0), that the ratio between the two is just 1/(c^2) and that the characteristic impedance of free space will be (Eμ0)/B.

Can anyone confirm or deny those results? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi 99wattr89! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    yes
    which is … ? :wink:

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    Thank you! And thanks for the tip!

I've been playing about with the result, and tried subbing in the energy equations form the first part of the question - that gives me an expression with μ0, ε0, and the E and B energies. I think I see how to finish it now - the E and B field energies at the same, right? Because if they are then the two cancel, and I get √(μ0/ε0), which I found in a couple of books as an expression for vacuum impedance.

The only trouble is justifying why the E and B waves have equal energy. I thought that maybe it was because in a loss-less system where E is generating B and B is generating E they would have to have the same energy - but in a wave they could both have been created by some unidentified source, which wouldn't necessarily have to give the same energy to both.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Mar 19, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i suspect the question wants an answer in terms of µo and c :wink:
    no, the electric field and magnetic field (in an EM wave) have equal strength, not energy

EDIT: actually, that's not correct, i should say that the strengths are related by Emax = cBmax

(btw, in a more convenient system, both µo and c would be 1, and both the strengths and the energies would be equal :smile:)

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    I see, so the force created by each is the same, but not the energy carried?

Double checking, I don't actually get this result though, I get μ0 for the impedance. Could my ratio for the two energies be backwards? I was pretty hazy on how to find the ratio for them so I could easily have that wrong. When I did the E energy over the B energy I got μ0ε0E2/B2, so I thought that meant a ratio of μ0ε0 - is that right? What confuses me is that there are E and B terms in the ratio and I don't know how to get rid of them initially I just ignored them, but I don't think that's right.

If the ratio of E energy over B energy is 1/μ0ε0, then I get a result of μ0c, which I think is correct, but I can't get that ratio.

7. Mar 19, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think the problem is looking for a specific value.

That's backwards. If the waves have the same energy in one set of units, they'll have the same energy in all sets of units. Using SI, the E and B field amplitudes have different units, so you can't compare them directly, but just looking at the numbers and ignoring the units, you'd see "E">>"B". When you use units where c=1, the fields have the same units, and E=B.

8. Mar 19, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i got that slightly wrong :redface: … see the EDIT above

using E2 = c2B2 wil give you the correct result …
    in reply to your earlier question …
    yes, they are sort-of generating each other :smile:

from Maxwell's equations, we get ∇2E = µoεo2E/∂t2 and ∇2B = µoεo2B/∂t2,

from which we deduce that there's a wave with speed 1/√(µoεo), and Emax = cBmax, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation#Derivation

9. Mar 22, 2012 #8
    Thank you both for all your help! I don't understand the equations listed on that wikipedia page, or how E/B=c comes out of them, but maybe that's more second year material?

I certainly have the answer at least, so thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook