mathboy Messages 182 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Mar 10, 2008 #1 Definition: Ext(A) = int (X-A) = X - Cl(A) Is it true that Ext(ExtA) = intA ?
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Mar 10, 2008 #2 Yes. Can you prove it?
mathboy Messages 182 Reaction score 0 Mar 10, 2008 #3 So far, I've only proven that Ext(ExtA) c X-extA. I can't arrive at Ext(ExtA) c intA. Are you sure the statement is true? Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
So far, I've only proven that Ext(ExtA) c X-extA. I can't arrive at Ext(ExtA) c intA. Are you sure the statement is true?
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Mar 11, 2008 #4 If x is contained in Int(A) then there is an open neighborhood of x that is not in Ext(A). Can you show that makes it a member of Ext(Ext(A))?
If x is contained in Int(A) then there is an open neighborhood of x that is not in Ext(A). Can you show that makes it a member of Ext(Ext(A))?
mathboy Messages 182 Reaction score 0 Mar 11, 2008 #5 X=R, A = rationals. Then ext(extA)=ext(int(irrationals))= ext (empty) = R But int(A) = empty. The statement is false. Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
X=R, A = rationals. Then ext(extA)=ext(int(irrationals))= ext (empty) = R But int(A) = empty. The statement is false.
Dick Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 26,254 Reaction score 623 Mar 11, 2008 #6 Ext(rationals)=empty. Ext(empty)=R. Int(rationals)=empty. Yep. Good point. Not trusting authority is a good thing. Keep it up. Sorry, not thinking.
Ext(rationals)=empty. Ext(empty)=R. Int(rationals)=empty. Yep. Good point. Not trusting authority is a good thing. Keep it up. Sorry, not thinking.
mathboy Messages 182 Reaction score 0 Mar 11, 2008 #7 I thought it was true too when I pictured A being a circle in the xy-plane. I was wondering why it was so hard to prove it.
I thought it was true too when I pictured A being a circle in the xy-plane. I was wondering why it was so hard to prove it.