1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extension of a continuous function

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1

radou

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f : A --> Y be a continuous function, where A is a subset of X and Y is Haussdorf. Show that, if f can be extended to a continuous function g : Cl(A) --> Y, then g is uniquely determined by f.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I can solve this on my own, but I got a bit stuck, perhaps I didn't understand the problem right, so let me check.

I assume an extension of a function in this case means that for any x in A, f(x) = g(x), and further on, I assume that g is uniquely determined by f if, for any x in Cl(A) , f(x) = g(x), too. Am I right on this one?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

f(x) doesn't exist for points in Cl(A) necessarily. When they say that g is uniquely determined, it means that suppose g(x) and h(x) are continuous functions on Cl(A) such that f(x)=g(x)=h(x) on A. Then g(x)=h(x) for all points in Cl(A)

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3

radou

Homework Helper

OK, thanks. I'll try to do it right away.

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

radou

Homework Helper

OK, here's the solution.

Let g and h extensions of f, and assume g =/= h. Let x be a point in Cl(A). Then, since Y is Haussdorf, take two disjoint neighborhoods of g(x) and h(x), V1 and V2. Since g and h are continuous, for V1 and V2 there exist neighborhoods U1 and U2 of x such that g(U1) is contained in V1 and g(U2) in V2. Since x is in the closure of A, both U1 and U2 intersect A. Take some x' from the intersection. Since x' is in A, g(x) = f(x) is contained in V1, and h(x) = f(x) is contained in V2. But then V1 and V2 are disjoint neighborhoods of f(x), which is impossible.

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Just a correction - since x' is in A, g(x') = f(x'), etc. replace all x with x'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook