1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

External division of a line segment

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    Suppose AB is a straight line segment. To divide the segment externally at point C in the ratio m:n, is it necessary for C to remain always outside of AB? I always thought C should be outside of AB, but the post in the link below confuses me
    http://www.transtutors.com/math-homework-help/vectors/section-formula.aspx
    Basically what is meant by external division of line segment by a point?
    Can anyone please clarify me? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you are asking. In the link, the point C is clearly on the line segment between A and B.
    The point O is external to the line segment.

4. May 8, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would guess it means that the distances AC, BC should be in the ratio m:n. If that represents AC:BC (as opposed to the other way around) then there are two solutions, one internal and one external.

5. May 12, 2013 #4
    uploadfromtaptalk1368360807272.jpg
    Thanks for your response.
    I'm trying to know if C is on line segment between A and B (fig 2) then can it divide AB externally or not? In the link it says C divides AB externally in the ratio AC:AB =m:n, is it correct or not?

Sorry for not stating clearly.

In (fig 1) if C divides AB externally then which pair of segments should we consider AC:CB or AC :AB?
    Or does this consideration of segments depend on given ratios? (for m+n:n, AC:CB for m+n:m, AC:AB)

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  6. May 12, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the construct "C divides AB", A and B have symmetric roles, whereas C is different. Therefore it's AC:CB.

7. May 13, 2013 #6
    What have you meant by "A and B have symmetric roles" here?
    Please explain a little more. And what about the second fig, that if C is in between A and B on AB, then can it divide AB externally?
    Sorry for bothering you. :confused:

8. May 13, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"C divides AB" is the same statement as "C divides BA". The roles that B and A play in the statement are symmetric, so the two are interchangeable. In the ratio expression AC:AB, B and A are not interchangeable; AC:AB is different from BC:BA. Therefore the correct interpretation is the ratio AC:BC.
    If you compare the vertex labels A, B and C with the vector labels a, b, c you will see that there's an error in the diagram.

9. May 13, 2013 #8
    Thanks a lot haruspex :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted