External hardware to use software?

• Thread starter jonjacson
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi folks,

I have access to Biovia Materials Studio, but my computer is old and is not fast enough to take advantage of the software, What can I do? ANy idea?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Buy a new computer seems about the only thing.

Buy a new computer seems about the only thing.
universities have supercomputing services if you are a researcher, I wonder if there is a paid service similar

but onetep calculates hundreds of atoms properties, I doubt you can do that with a normal computer
I don't know what onetep is -- you asked about Biovia Materials Studio, and I reported what they have for hardware requirements. Whatever it means to calculate the properties of "hundreds of atoms" is probably within the capabilities of a modern CPU. But again, I don't know what onetep is or does, so I can't say for sure.

I don't know what onetep is -- you asked about Biovia Materials Studio, and I reported what they have for hardware requirements. Whatever it means to calculate the properties of "hundreds of atoms" is probably within the capabilities of a modern CPU. But again, I don't know what onetep is or does, so I can't say for sure.
So Biovia contain several programs, like Castep, Dmol3 or Onetep, each one is being developed to calculate specific models it may be quantum mechanics or it may be mesoscale models, Onetep is the one that is useful to calculate properties of high number of atoms molecules.

http://www.onetep.org/