Extracting Drugs w/ Eppendorf Tubes

In summary, the individual is looking for a suitable container to use for extracting a drug from a solvent layer, but there are no conical vials available. They are considering using eppendorf tubes, which have a sharp tip similar to a conical vial's sharp bottom, and are made of polypropylene which should be compatible with most solvents. They are using a variety of solvents, but as long as they are compatible with the tubes, they should be safe to use. The eppendorf website has a pdf with information on the chemical compatibility of their tubes.
~christina~
Gold Member
I have a question as to what container I can use to do the extract a drug from a solvent layer in. (via shaking with another solvent)
The problem is that there are no conical vials in the lab and we can't borrow any.
We do have test tubes, however the covers for the test tubes leak and thus are a hazard to shake, due to the sample loss. I was thinking about using eppendorf tubes to do the extraction in since they don't leak and have a sharp tip which would work the same way a conical vial's sharp bottom.

Is this alright? I'm not sure if the solvents would react with the plastic or anything. I hope not as this is the only thing I can think of using, instead of leaky test tubes.

Thank you

edit: since most eppendorf tubes are made with polypropylene, it shouldn't react with the solvent

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What solvents are you using? As long as the solvents are compatible with the tubes, they should be ok to use.

Ygggdrasil said:
What solvents are you using? As long as the solvents are compatible with the tubes, they should be ok to use.
might be...
Octane, Hexane, Decane, Acetone, 1-Propanol, 2-Propanol, Ethanol, Toluene, Cyclohexane, Methanol, Heptane, Pentane, Butanol, methylene chloride.

1. What are Eppendorf tubes and why are they used for extracting drugs?

Eppendorf tubes are small, plastic tubes commonly used in laboratory settings for a variety of applications, including extracting drugs. They are designed to be leak-proof and resistant to extreme temperatures and chemicals. Eppendorf tubes are used for extracting drugs because they provide a safe and reliable way to store and transport small quantities of liquid samples.

2. How do Eppendorf tubes facilitate drug extraction?

Eppendorf tubes are typically used in conjunction with a centrifuge, which spins the tubes at high speeds to separate different components of a liquid sample. This is especially useful for extracting drugs, as the centrifugal force helps to separate the desired drug compounds from other substances in the sample.

3. Can Eppendorf tubes be used for all types of drug extractions?

Eppendorf tubes are suitable for many types of drug extractions, but their use may vary depending on the specific drug and sample being extracted. They are commonly used for extracting small molecules, such as proteins and DNA, but may not be as effective for larger molecules or complex mixtures.

4. Are there any precautions to take when using Eppendorf tubes for drug extraction?

It is important to properly label and store Eppendorf tubes to avoid mix-ups and cross-contamination. It is also recommended to use new, sterile tubes for each extraction to ensure accurate results. Additionally, care should be taken when handling potentially hazardous substances during the extraction process.

5. What are the advantages of using Eppendorf tubes for drug extraction?

Eppendorf tubes are small, easy to use, and provide a safe and efficient way to store and transport samples. They are also designed to be compatible with various laboratory equipment, making them a versatile tool for drug extraction. Additionally, Eppendorf tubes are disposable, reducing the risk of contamination and making cleanup easier.