Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extraction of carbon distribution data from blended biofuel

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I have been working on molecular formula determination for biojet fuels. Can someone help me here please. I need to find out the molecular formula of Neat Algae jet fuel. I have been provided with the carbon-type (n and iso types) mass fractions for blended jatropha/algae fuel and neat jatropha fuel. Is is possible for me to extract the carbon distribution data from the available information? Please reply as soon as possible. Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "carbon distribution data"?

4. Aug 25, 2012 #3
    Hi Thanks for your reply. I have attached a fig which will provide the carbon content and carbon species constructing each of the biofuel. I need to extract similar carbon information which constructs algae SPK. I hoped I can calculate it from the provided data.

http://www.ascension-publishing.com/BIZ/Bio-SPK.pdf

This URL contains the report which in turn has the figure im talking about in Page 3. I need to extract a similar carbon data for neat algae SPK.
    Im interested in the info for neat Jatropha SPK and blended Jatropha & algae SPK (95%+5% respectively). Please please please give me good news

5. Aug 26, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, but that isn't possible by us. The process that UOP uses to remove oxygen from fatty acids and then crack the remaining paraffins to smaller chains is specific to their process. UOP itself likely wouldn't be able to help you either since the type of information you ask for requires a very thorough understanding of the pertinent mechanisms of the process. UOP may have this level of understanding of their process but that isn't likely IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook