1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F is continuous then F is continuous in each variable separately

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F: X x Y -> Z. We say F is continuous in each variable separately if for each ##b \in Y## the function h: X -> Z, h(x) = F(x,b), and for each ##a \in X##, the function g: Y -> Z, g(y) = F(a,y) is continuous. Show that if F is continuous, then F is continuous in each variable separately.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I noticed that you can define a function A: X -> X x Y and B: Y -> X x Y, and h = A ° F and
    g = B ° F. If I can show that A and B are continuous then I am done. However I do not see how to do that. I have a theorem in my book that says,

Let the Topo space M be a subspace of the topo space N. Then the inclusion mapping i: M -> N is continuous.

Can I use this for A and B? Can I just say they are inclusion mappings?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You have your compositions backwards: if [itex]f: X \to Y[/itex] and [itex]g: Y \to Z[/itex] then
    [itex]g \circ f : X \to Z : x \mapsto g(f(x))[/itex].

[itex]X[/itex] is not a subset of [itex]X \times Y[/itex], so it's not that simple.

However, for each [itex]b \in Y[/itex] there is an injection [itex]f : X \to X \times Y : x \mapsto (x,b)[/itex]. If you can show that [itex]f[/itex] is continuous then you have that [itex]h = F \circ f : X \to Z : x \mapsto F(x,b)[/itex] is continuous.

The basis of the topology on [itex]X \times Y[/itex] is [itex]\{ U \times V : U[/itex] is open in [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] is open in [itex]Y\}[/itex]. If the pre-image of every basis set is open, then the pre-image of every open set is open (because an open set is an arbitrary union of basis sets, and the pre-image of an arbitrary union is the union of the pre-images).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted