1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field strength to deflect electron in a cathode-ray tube

1. May 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron in a cathode-ray tube is accelerated through a potential difference of 10 kV, then passes through the d = 2.4-cm-wide region of uniform magnetic field in the figure(Figure 1) .

33.P59.jpg

What field strength will deflect the electron by θ = 13 degrees?

2. Relevant equations

Δx=vt+0.5aΔt2
    KE=0.5mv2
    U=qΔV
    F=qvBsin(θ)
    F=ma
    B=ma/qvsin(θ)
    Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf

3. The attempt at a solution

Since Ki=0, then Kf=-ΔU
    Since U=qΔV, then Kf=-qΔV
    Since Kf=0.5mv2, then 0.5mv2=-qΔV

Using 0.5mv2=-qΔV, and inputing values 0.5(9.11×10-31)v2)=-(-1.60×10-19)(10,000)

So, v after acceleration by ΔV is 5.931×107 m/s.

Δx=viΔt+0.5axΔt2
    Since ax=0, because the force should be acting to change only the ay
    t=4.047×10-10 s
    so, Δy=viΔt+0.5ayΔt2

and since Δy=0.024tan(13)=5.54×10-3

then, ay=6.765×1016

Since: F=qvBsin(θ) and F=ma, then
    B=ma/qvsin(θ), and θ=90, (I think?)
    so
    B=(9.11×10-31)(6.756×1016)/(1.60×10-19)(5.931×107)=6.49×10-3 T

This answer is incorrect. Could someone show me where I went wrong? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The magnetic force is perpendicular to the velocity. In F = q v B sinθ, θ = π/2. The angle that you seeking has to do with the circular arc of the electron's trajectory.

4. May 20, 2017 #3
    Right. I'm pretty sure I used π/2=90 degrees in my calculations. I'm trying to find the field strength needed to deflect the electron. Any idea where I went wrong in my calculations?

5. May 20, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is where you went wrong. What I am trying to say is that the electron undergoes uniform circular motion in he region of magnetic field. The acceleration is centripetal.

6. May 20, 2017 #5
    Oh, I think I see. So, the acceleration I should use to input into the equation B=ma/qv should be:

ac=V2/r

How would I calculate the "r" in the equation for centripetal acceleration?

7. May 20, 2017 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The "r" depends on the magnetic field. Can you find an expression for it in terms of the magnetic field?

8. May 20, 2017 #7
    Ye
    Yes, r=mv/qB, but since the magnetic field is what I'm trying to find, I'm not sure what I can do with it.

9. May 20, 2017 #8

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember that the electron is undergoing uniform circular motion. Can you write expressions for the x and y components of its position as a function of time? Note that at t = 0, the electron is at position {0, mv/qB} and moving with velocity {v, 0}.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  10. May 20, 2017 #9
    Wait, I think I might be getting it, so the equation would look like :

since ac=v2/(mv/qB) then
    B=m((v2)/(mv/qB))/qv

11. May 20, 2017 #10

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are going around in a circle. This gives you B = B if you simplify.

12. May 20, 2017 #11
  13. May 20, 2017 #12

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please consider post #8.

14. May 20, 2017 #13
    x(t)=vx+0.5axt2 and y(t)=vyt+0.5ayt2

I know that I have to incorporate something relating to the fact that at t=0 where position is (0, mv/qB) and velocity is (v,0), but I'm not sure how to proceed.

15. May 20, 2017 #14

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please forget the equations that you quoted. They are not pertinent to uniform circular motion. In uniform circular motion the object is going around a circle at constant speed. This would be the case here if the magnetic field extended over a larger region. Instead the particle exits the field, nevertheless while it's still in the field region, it moves at constant speed.
    Try this approach. Draw a picture of the particle at the exit point and a vector from the center of the circle (remember it has radius mv/qB). The x-component of the position vector must be what?

16. May 20, 2017 #15
    The x-component of the position should be the length of box containing the magnetic field (xf-xi)=0.024 m, and the y-component of the position should be y=(0.024)tan(13).

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  17. May 21, 2017 #16
    Using geometry, I think the radius of the should be (Δx2+Δy2)/2Δy, which should be 0.05476 m. Then I should be able to put it in the formula B=mv/rq. Does this sound correct?

18. May 21, 2017 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No.
    Draw a diagram showing the arc of travel and the centre of the arc, joining the centre to the ends of the arc with two radii to form a sector.
    What is the angle in the sector, i.e. between the radii?
    In terms of that angle and the radius, what is the distance travelled along the x axis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted