F(x)=2x + 32/x find the absolute maximum and minimum if they exist

In summary, the absolute maximum and absolute minimum for the given function is when x > 0 and when x = 0.
AFNequation
find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum (if any) for the given function :
f(x)= 2x + 32/x ; when x > 0

I tried to solve it but I'm not sure if its a maxima or minima, here are my try :
f(x)= 2x + 32/x
f'(x)= 2-32/x^2
2-32/x^2=0
2u^2=32
u^2=16
u=4 or - 4
-4 is not included cause x > 0

f(4)= 2(4) + 32/4
f(4)= 8 + 8
f(4)= 16
(4, 16) but I'm not sure if it an absolute maximum or minimum?

are my steps correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the second derivative at x = 4 to determine if it's a minimum or a maximum. If f''(4) > 0, then it's a local minimum, and if f''(4) < 0 it's a local maximum. Since the only x satisfying x > 0 and f'(x) = 0 is at x = 4, you can tell that it must be an absolute extremum.

thank you
but isn't the second derivative test only to determine the max or min relative ? not absolute extrema?

Yes, but if you find only one local maximum and no other places where f'(x) = 0, it must be an absolute maximum. Try drawing a graph. Draw a local maximum, and try to continue the curve and make it attain another higher maximum. Can you get it to do that without creating a local minimum somewhere?

thanks for your help :)

i got another quistion
do i have to find f(-4) and f''(-4) ? or is it just f(4) and f''(-4) ?
cause it is > o

The problem as given asked for the maximum and minimum of your function for x > 0, so no, you don't need to check x = -4.

AFNequation said:
find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum (if any) for the given function :
f(x)= 2x + 32/x ; when x > 0I tried to solve it but I'm not sure if its a maxima or minima, here are my try :
f(x)= 2x + 32/x
f'(x)= 2-32/x^2
2-32/x^2=0
2u^2=32
u^2=16
u=4 or - 4
-4 is not included cause x > 0

f(4)= 2(4) + 32/4
f(4)= 8 + 8
f(4)= 16
(4, 16) but I'm not sure if it an absolute maximum or minimum?

are my steps correct ?

Let's take a step back and recall something important.

A function is guaranteed to have an absolute maximum and an absolute minimum on a closed and bounded (aka compact) interval [a,b] if it is continuous everywhere in that interval.

Now, your function is continuous for all x > 0, but you are looking for a maximum and minimum on the interval (0, infinity), and this interval is NOT compact. Therefore the function is NOT guaranteed to have either a maximum or a minimum on that interval!

In fact, it certainly has no absolute maximum: if you plug in increasingly smaller numbers for x, then 2x gets closer and closer to 0, but 32/x gets larger and larger without bound! Similarly, if you pick x larger and larger, 32/x gets closer and closer to zero, but 2x grows without bound. Thus I could make f(x) equal a trillion or a googol or any big number I like if I choose a small enough x or a large enough x.

So at best you can hope to find an absolute minimum.

To verify that an absolute maximum does exist, let's pick x1 and x2 so that

[tex]f(x1) \geq 1000000000000[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq x < x1[/tex] or [tex]x > x2[/tex]

Then [tex][x1,x2][/tex] is a compact interval, and f is continuous at every point in that interval, so it has an absolute minimum (and absolute maximum) when restricted to that interval. As long as the absolute minimum on [tex][x1,x2][/tex] is less than 1000000000000, then it is also the absolute minimum on all of [tex](0,\infty)[/tex].

Since f is also differentiable on all of [tex][x1,x2][/tex], you can now proceed with the usual first and second derivative tests (along with checking the endpoints) to find the absolute max and min on [tex][x1,x2][/tex].

Last edited:

1. What is the function F(x)?

The function F(x) is defined as 2x + 32/x.

2. How do you find the absolute maximum and minimum of the function?

To find the absolute maximum and minimum of the function, we need to take the derivative of F(x) and set it equal to 0 to find the critical points. Then, we plug these critical points into the second derivative to determine which points are maximum or minimum values.

3. What is the significance of the absolute maximum and minimum of a function?

The absolute maximum and minimum of a function represent the highest and lowest points of the function, respectively. These points are important because they give us information about the overall behavior of the function and can help us solve optimization problems.

4. When do the absolute maximum and minimum of a function exist?

The absolute maximum and minimum of a function exist when the function is continuous and differentiable on a closed interval. This means that the function has no breaks or discontinuities, and its derivative exists at every point within the interval.

5. Can a function have more than one absolute maximum or minimum?

It is possible for a function to have more than one absolute maximum or minimum, as long as they occur at different points. However, if two or more points have the same maximum or minimum value, then that value is considered a relative maximum or minimum instead.