Facebook’s Chat App Is Getting New A.I. Features

  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App Chat
In summary, Facebook is introducing a virtual assistant that will suggest tasks based on the conversations happening in Messenger.
  • #1
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
24,017
3,337
This upsets me

Facebook will soon start weighing in on your conversations. The social media giant announced Thursday that it's bringing a virtual assistant to its Messenger chat app that aims to make helpful suggestions based on your exchanges.

No Thanks!

My friend and I that had been forced to go to FB chat when Yahoo IM was killed started noticing weird things liked words underlined that led to unwanted hyperlinks. And "Start Plan" would pop up in blue.

He found this article. http://time.com/4728052/facebook-messenger-m-digital-assistant-aide/

Yet another intrusion, another way to lose control over your life.

It says you will have the option to turn off the suggestions, I sure hope so. What is happening to people? Are we so incompetent that we can't handle our lives anymore? I see these "things" they sell that you set in your room and ask it questions, or ask it to turn lights on and off, because we are too lazy to get up and switch off a light or look something up. If you are paralyzed, they are great. If you aren't, get up, move, do things for yourself. Heaven forbid we should have to move or learn how to look up information. I mean, is googling something on the internet so hard that we now need something to google for us?
 
  • Like
Likes phinds
Computer science news on Phys.org
  • #2
Evo said:
is googling something on the internet so hard that we now need something to google for us?
Let me Google that for you has been around for a while already. They just took out the middleman. Nothing to worry about. I'm sure that they won't write any apps that will have conversations with your friends for you. :olduhh:
 
  • #3
Borg said:
I'm sure that they won't write any apps that will have conversations with your friends for you. :olduhh:
But Firefox might...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]
popc1.gif
 
  • #4
Evo said:
This upsets me
No Thanks!

My friend and I that had been forced to go to FB chat when Yahoo IM was killed started noticing weird things liked words underlined that led to unwanted hyperlinks. And "Start Plan" would pop up in blue.

He found this article. http://time.com/4728052/facebook-messenger-m-digital-assistant-aide/

Yet another intrusion, another way to lose control over your life.

It says you will have the option to turn off the suggestions, I sure hope so. What is happening to people? Are we so incompetent that we can't handle our lives anymore? I see these "things" they sell that you set in your room and ask it questions, or ask it to turn lights on and off, because we are too lazy to get up and switch off a light or look something up. If you are paralyzed, they are great. If you aren't, get up, move, do things for yourself. Heaven forbid we should have to move or learn how to look up information. I mean, is googling something on the internet so hard that we now need something to google for us?

It's just an additional interface and a very helpful one at that. "I think life is already too convenient" is a losing argument and has been for hundreds of years.
 
  • #5
DavidSnider said:
It's just an additional interface and a very helpful one at that. "I think life is already too convenient" is a losing argument and has been for hundreds of years.
To each his own. I see it as an unwanted intrusion into my life and another way of making people lazier and more dependent on machines for things that they could easily do. I guess you like that kind of thing. Not passing judgement, I'm sure many people like that kind of thing.

Now, if it could run down to the corner and pick up a hamburger for me, I'd be all for it! :biggrin:
 
  • #6
Evo said:
To each his own. I see it as an unwanted intrusion into my life and another way of making people lazier and more dependent on machines for things that they could easily do. I guess you like that kind of thing. Not passing judgement, I'm sure many people like that kind of thing.

Nobody forces you to get siri or google home or even facebook. They aren't intrusions. You voluntarily sign up for them.

Automation doesn't automatically mean lazy. It means you want to spend your time doing something else. Maybe you enjoy walking across the room flipping light switches. I can't imagine why.
 
  • #7
DavidSnider said:
Nobody forces you to get siri or google home or even facebook. They aren't intrusions. You voluntarily sign up for them.

Automation doesn't automatically mean lazy. It means you want to spend your time doing something else. Maybe you enjoy walking across the room flipping light switches. I can't imagine why.
Well, I only switched to FB because Yahoo Messenger was cancelled, so the only other instant messenger that we all used was FB, so I grudgingly starting using the FB chat feature. It was not because I used FB.

I do get up and switch lights off and on, and I do park far away from the front door of buildings so that I have to walk longer. I take stairs instead of using the elevator or escalator unless it's a very high story I need to go to. I do often walk to the stores that are within 2 miles, I bought a little wagon to carry my items. And this is even though I have a spinal injury and often have to sit on the sidewalk and rest due to the pain.

Like I said, I'm not judging people that want to use these things, but I often find that what starts out as an "option" soon becomes the only way. I hope that this does not become the case.
 
  • #8
Evo said:
Well, I only switched to FB because Yahoo Messenger was cancelled, so the only other instant messenger that we all used was FB, so I grudgingly starting using the FB chat feature. It was not because I used FB.

I do get up and switch lights off and on, and i do park far away from the front door of buildings so that I have to walk longer. I take stairs instead of using the elevator or escalator unless it's a very high story I need to go to.

That's great. I deleted facebook 2 months ago and I run a 5k every evening and also use Google Home to turn the lights off at night ;)
 
  • Like
Likes Evo
  • #9
DavidSnider said:
That's great. I deleted facebook 2 months ago and I run a 5k every evening and also use Google Home to turn the lights off at night ;)
And you know that I love you. I still burst into tears over what you did for me. Now, If I could make him walk...down to the hamburger joint and place orders...
 
  • #10
Evo said:
And you know that I love you. I still burst into tears over what you did for me. Now, If I could make him walk...down to the hamburger joint and place orders...

Love you too evo. La grenouille magique needs to learn that spell.
 

Related to Facebook’s Chat App Is Getting New A.I. Features

1. What are the new A.I. features being added to Facebook's chat app?

The new A.I. features being added to Facebook's chat app include smart replies, message translation, and the ability to make restaurant reservations through the app.

2. How will these A.I. features improve the user experience on Facebook's chat app?

These features will improve the user experience by making conversations more efficient and seamless. Smart replies will suggest responses based on the context of the conversation, message translation will allow for easier communication with people who speak different languages, and the ability to make reservations through the app will save users time and effort.

3. Will these A.I. features compromise user privacy on Facebook's chat app?

No, these A.I. features are designed with user privacy in mind. The smart replies and message translation will be processed locally on the user's device, and Facebook will not store any data from these features. The restaurant reservation feature will only share necessary information with the selected restaurant and will not store any data.

4. When will these A.I. features be available on Facebook's chat app?

The new A.I. features are currently being tested and will be rolled out to users in the coming weeks. The exact release date may vary depending on the results of the testing phase.

5. Will these A.I. features be available to all users of Facebook's chat app?

Yes, these features will be available to all users of Facebook's chat app. However, some features, such as message translation, may only be available in certain countries and languages initially.

Similar threads

  • Mechanical Engineering
Replies
28
Views
2K
Replies
10
Views
2K
Replies
30
Views
4K
  • Aerospace Engineering
2
Replies
35
Views
4K
Replies
18
Views
3K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
16
Views
2K
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Quantum Interpretations and Foundations
Replies
25
Views
1K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
12
Views
2K
Replies
17
Views
1K
Back
Top