1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor and simplify (PREcalculus)

1. May 24, 2013 #1
    Hello,

First time poster here. After lurking about the forums for a couple days I feel as if this question may be overly rudimentary; regardless, I'm stuck. This is not a homework assignment but preparation for an upcoming precalculus class.

(x^2-4)((x^2+3)^1/2) - ((x^2-4)^2) ((x^2+3)^3/2) - Factor and simplify

I understand that (x^2-4) by itself can be broken down to (x-2)(x+2). However I don't think that is getting me anywhere. Beyond that, I know that obviously (x^2-4) is a factor of ((x^2-4)^2) as well as ((x^2+3)^1/2) being a factor of ((x^2+3)^3/2).

With that said, I would rearrange to (x^2-4)(1+(x^2-4)) and ((x^2+3)^1/2)(1+(x^2-4)). Outside of that, I am lost. I realize that I'm seemingly ignoring that subtraction sign there, but in all honesty, I just don't know how to make it fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You appear to be making a major error. You seem to think that if you factor a term out of an expression, it leaves "1+ " the rest of the expression. That is not true. If you factor "a" out of "ab", all that is left is "b", not "1+ b".

Yes, you have [itex]x^2- 4[/itex] in one term and [itex](x^2- 4)^2[/itex] in the other so there is a "[itex]x^2- 4[/itex] in both and you can take that out leaving [itex](x^2+ 3)^{1/2}- (x^2- 4)(x^2+ 3)^{3/2}[/itex]/ And [itex](x^2+ 3)^{3/2}= (x^2+ 3)(x^2+ 3)^{1/2}[/tex] so each term has a "[itex](x^2+ 3)^{1/2}[/itex] that can be factored out, leaving [itex](1- (x^2- 4)(x^2+ 3)^{1/2}[/ITEX]

That is, [itex](x^2- 4)(x^2+ 3)^{1/2}- (x^2- 4)^2(x^2+ 3)^{3/2}= (x^2- 4)(x^2- 3)^{1/2}(1- x^2- 4(x^2+ 3)^{1/2}[/itex]
    And now you can factor [itex]x^2- 4[/itex].

4. May 24, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the swift reply.

I definitely understand the mistake I was making. For some reason the subtraction in the middle threw me off. You put me in the right direction. I eventually came to the following:

[itex][(x^2-4)(x^2+3)^{1/2}]-[(x^2-4)^2(x^2+3)^{3/2}][/itex]

[itex]((x^2-4)(x^2+3)^{1/2})(1-(x^2-4)(x^2+3))[/itex]

[itex]((x^2-4)(x^2+3)^{1/2})(1-x^4+x^2+12)[/itex]

With a final answer of

[itex]((x+2)(x-2)(x^2+3)^{1/2})(-x^4+x^2+13)[/itex] which is what the book agrees with.

This problem was in the review section (prerequisite) of my precalculus book. Unfortunately, it being a review, there isn't much more of it's kind. Everything problem before and after it I seem to have a very good grounding in. Does anyone have any suggestion of a website or program where I can practice multiple problems of this type? I've checked Khan Academy already. He doesn't seem to have anything quite like the above in his practice exercises; they are either too easy or too advanced (for me at this time).

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  5. May 24, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Something like this perhaps?

6. May 24, 2013 #5
    Thanks for the suggestion; I didn't know about that site. Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, I run into the same issue as with Khan Academy. These sample problems are extremely simple. I'm looking for something where you actually factor out whole binomials (as well as positive/negative exponents). I understand the basic concept is the same in either case, but I still seem to be having issues here and there...

7. May 24, 2013 #6
    For instance:

Problems like [itex]x^{-3/2} - 2x^{-1/2} + x^{1/2}[/itex] are extremely simple for me, whereas problems such as [itex](x^2+1)^{1/2} - 10(x^2+1)^{-1/2}[/itex] are hit or miss and always confuse me somewhere in the process. I know I'm missing something very simple somewhere in the process, but it eludes me.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  8. May 24, 2013 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When doing LaTeX: To include more than one character in an exponent, enclose it in braces, { } .

As in x^{-3/2} which LaTeX renders as [itex]x^{-3/2} \ .[/itex]

9. May 24, 2013 #8
    Thanks for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted