Factoring exponents from trig functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the double angle identities using Euler's formula. The formula is first stated as e^{ix} = \cos x + i\sin x and then squared on both sides, resulting in (e^{ix})^2 = (\cos x + i\sin x)^2 = (\cos^2x - \sin^2x) + i(2\sin x\cos x). The real and imaginary components of this equation are then equated with the double angle identities, showing that they are equivalent. The question is raised about pulling out the '2' from the trigonometric functions and squaring the right hand expression, and it is explained through equating the components.
hatelove
I tend to forget some of the trigonometric functions and someone showed me how to derive the double angle identities from what I think is Euler's formula:

[tex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i\sin x[/tex]
=
[tex]e^{i2x} = \cos 2x + i\sin 2x[/tex]
=
[tex](e^{ix})^{2} = (\cos x + i\sin x)^{2}[/tex]

I have a question about this step...I understand how the '2' from the e^(i2x) was pulled out, but is it okay to pull the '2' out from the '2x' of the trigonometric functions and to square the right hand expression? How does that work?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, daigo![tex]\text{Euler's formula: }\:e^{ix} \:=\:\cos x + i\sin x[/tex][tex]\text{Square both sides:}[/tex]
. . [tex](e^{ix})^2 \:=\: (\cos x + i\sin x)^2 \:=\: (\cos^2x - \sin^2x) + i(2\sin x\cos x) [/tex] .[1][tex]\text{We know that:}[/tex]
. . [tex](e^{ix})^2 \:=\:e^{2ix} \:=\:e^{i(2x)} \:=\:\cos(2x) + i\sin(2x) [/tex] .[2]Equate real components and imaginary components of [2] and [1].

. . . [tex]\begin{Bmatrix}\cos2x &=& \cos^2x - \sin^2x \\ \sin2x &=& 2\sin x\cos x \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

Related to Factoring exponents from trig functions

1. What is the purpose of factoring exponents from trig functions?

The purpose of factoring exponents from trig functions is to simplify the expression and make it easier to solve or manipulate. It also helps to identify any patterns or relationships between different trig functions.

2. How do you factor exponents from trig functions?

To factor exponents from trig functions, you can use the properties of exponents and trigonometric identities. This involves rewriting the expression using identities such as the double angle, half angle, and power reduction formulas.

3. Can factoring exponents from trig functions be applied to all trigonometric expressions?

Yes, factoring exponents from trig functions can be applied to all trigonometric expressions as long as they involve exponents and trig functions. However, the degree of simplification may vary depending on the complexity of the expression.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when factoring exponents from trig functions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when factoring exponents from trig functions include forgetting to apply the correct trigonometric identity, making calculation errors when simplifying the expression, and not factoring out common factors.

5. How does factoring exponents from trig functions relate to solving trigonometric equations?

Factoring exponents from trig functions is an important step in solving trigonometric equations. It allows us to transform the equation into a simpler form, making it easier to solve. Factoring can also help identify any extraneous solutions and check the final answer.