Factorising High order polynomials

In summary, this conversation is about how to factorize a polynomial with coefficients 10 and 6. The problem is that the roots are incorrect, but this is irrelevant. The poster is asking for help with this problem, and is being dismissed because the roots are incorrect.
MMCS
Find roots of:

upload_2015-4-18_14-49-48.png

I need to set =0 then factorise. I know that this polynomial has coefficients of 1,2,4,8 and there is a rule to factorise this however, i don't know it.

Also, i believe a high order polynomial will be included in my exams. Are there any other "special" polynomials such as this which i should look out for to make factorizing easier as it has been suggested a polynomial such as this will come up...

Thanks

ADDED: i should add, this is not a homework question. I have the roots to be (s+2)(s^2+4)...but forgot to note how to arrive at this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MMCS said:
Find roots of:

View attachment 82187

I need to set =0 then factorise. I know that this polynomial has coefficients of 1,2,4,8 and there is a rule to factorise this however, i don't know it.

Also, i believe a high order polynomial will be included in my exams. Are there any other "special" polynomials such as this which i should look out for to make factorizing easier as it has been suggested a polynomial such as this will come up...

Thanks

ADDED: i should add, this is not a homework question. I have the roots to be (s+2)(s^2+4)...but forgot to note how to arrive at this
Your polynomial can't have (s + 2) has a factor, otherwise D(-2) would be zero, which it isn't. If the partial factorization you show is correct, then there's a typo in the polynomial whose image you attached. Otherwise, I don't know how you could get the factorization you show.

Also, when you post a question in the homework section, please use the homework template.

MMCS said:
Find roots of:

View attachment 82187

What happened to 10 and 6? These are coefficients as well.

Thanks

If this is not a Homework question, then post it in the General Math forum.

Well its work. I am doing it at home. Your issue is pedantic.

Mark44...the fact that the roots are incorrect is irrelevant. My question is clearly asking how to treat a polynomial of this structure. Your response is therefore uselss

MMCS said:
Well its work. I am doing it at home. Your issue is pedantic.
No, it's not.

By posting here in the Homework forums, which are intended to be used by students for their course work, there is only so much help which can be offered, according to the Rules of PF. No solutions of any kind can be given directly to the poster.

In the technical forums, these restrictions are relaxed, and this results in a very different kind of interaction between poster and those interested in replying.

MMCS said:
Mark44...the fact that the roots are incorrect is irrelevant.
How is this fact irrelevant? You post a problem, and say that you got a certain factorization, but that factorization is incorrect. Most people who post here would think that was relavant (and even valuable) information.
MMCS said:
My question is clearly asking how to treat a polynomial of this structure. Your response is therefore uselss
How about losing that attitude? You clearly came here for help, and to dismiss any help with such a snippy arrogant tone makes me less interested in providing that help, or even saying what I did to arrive at my answer. We are all unpaid volunteers here - we do it because we like to help out.

Likes gracy
This is the 4th comment posted in this thread without any sort of constructive answer. Two "mentors" have jumped straight onto this thread with two separate issues. It seems "mentors" on this site or more concerned with rules and regulations than helping people. Mark44 posted problem here is clear and concise, so to go out of your way to ask me to use the template without any sort of help with the actual problem is wasting both of our time.

Thread closed.

1. What is factorising high order polynomials?

Factorising high order polynomials is the process of breaking down a polynomial expression into simpler expressions that when multiplied together, result in the original polynomial.

2. Why is factorising high order polynomials important?

Factorising high order polynomials allows us to solve equations, find roots, and simplify complex expressions. It is also an important concept in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

3. How do you factorise a high order polynomial?

To factorise a high order polynomial, we need to look for common factors and use techniques such as grouping, difference of squares, and perfect square trinomials. We may also need to use the quadratic formula or other methods to factorise more complex polynomials.

4. Can all high order polynomials be factorised?

No, not all high order polynomials can be factorised. Some polynomials, known as prime polynomials, cannot be broken down into simpler expressions. However, we can still use other methods to solve or simplify these polynomials.

5. What are the benefits of factoring high order polynomials?

Factoring high order polynomials can help us find solutions to equations, identify patterns and relationships between terms, and simplify complex expressions. It also allows us to easily graph polynomials and understand their behavior.