Complex roots of a quartic polynomial

In summary, the polynomial z^4 + 2z^3 + 9z^2 - 52z + 200 = 0 has 3 other roots, which are the complex conjugates of the given root. To find these roots, the polynomial was divided by the product of the two known roots. A remainder of -120z - 60 was obtained, indicating an error. The correct product of the two factors is (z+3)^2 - (4i)^2.
subzero0137
The polynomial [itex]z^4 + 2z^3 + 9z^2 - 52z + 200 = 0[/itex] has a root [itex]z=-3+4i[/itex]. Find the other 3 roots.

Since the given root is complex, one of the other roots must be the complex conjugate of the given root. So the 2nd root is [itex]z=-3-4i[/itex]. To find the other roots, I divided the polynomial by [itex]z^2 + 6z + 13[/itex] (this is the product of the 2 known roots), which gave [itex]z^2 - 4z + 20[/itex] with remainder [itex]-120z - 60[/itex]. I don't know how to proceed from here because I haven't done many examples where you get a remainder after doing algebraic division. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the product you're using from the two known roots.

Student100 said:
Check the product you're using from the two known roots.

I meant the product of the 2 factors (not roots). So [itex](z - (-3 + 4i))(z - (-3 - 4i)) = z^2 + 6z +13[/itex], right?

subzero0137 said:
I meant the product of the 2 factors (not roots). So [itex](z - (-3 + 4i))(z - (-3 - 4i)) = z^2 + 6z +13[/itex], right?

I get something different, do a quick check again.

Maybe this will help you some more, write it like [itex]((z+3)^2 +16)[/itex] and look at why you're able to do that.

Last edited:
subzero0137 said:
I don't know how to proceed from here because I haven't done many examples where you get a remainder after doing algebraic division. What should I do?

A remainder is a sign there is an error. If the quadratic is a factor of the quartic there will be no remainder from division.

So since it is certain there is an error the only question remaining is whether it's yours or of the guy who set the question. :biggrin:

epenguin said:
A remainder is a sign there is an error. If the quadratic is a factor of the quartic there will be no remainder from division.

So since it is certain there is an error the only question remaining is whether it's yours or of the guy who set the question. :biggrin:

Pretty sure it is his at the moment. : )

Student100 said:
Pretty sure it is his at the moment. : )

Yup, I've got it now. Thanks :)

subzero0137 said:

You might find it easier to do as ((z+3)- 4i)((z+3)+4i) which is the product of a "sum and difference" and so equal to [itex](z+ 3)^2- (4i)^2[/itex].

Related to Complex roots of a quartic polynomial

1. What is a quartic polynomial?

A quartic polynomial is a polynomial function of degree four, meaning that the highest exponent in the equation is four. It can be written in the form ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable.

2. What are complex roots?

Complex roots are solutions to a polynomial equation that involve complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

3. How do you find the complex roots of a quartic polynomial?

To find the complex roots of a quartic polynomial, the polynomial must be factored into two quadratic equations. The quadratic formula can then be used to solve for the roots of each equation, which will give the four complex roots of the quartic polynomial.

4. Can a quartic polynomial have only real roots?

Yes, a quartic polynomial can have four real roots, two real roots, or zero real roots. However, it is possible for a quartic polynomial to have complex roots as well.

5. Why are complex roots important?

Complex roots are important because they allow us to find all the solutions to a polynomial equation, even when the solutions involve imaginary numbers. They also have applications in various fields of mathematics and science, such as in electrical engineering and signal processing.