1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex roots of a quartic polynomial

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    The polynomial [itex]z^4 + 2z^3 + 9z^2 - 52z + 200 = 0[/itex] has a root [itex]z=-3+4i[/itex]. Find the other 3 roots.

Since the given root is complex, one of the other roots must be the complex conjugate of the given root. So the 2nd root is [itex]z=-3-4i[/itex]. To find the other roots, I divided the polynomial by [itex]z^2 + 6z + 13[/itex] (this is the product of the 2 known roots), which gave [itex]z^2 - 4z + 20[/itex] with remainder [itex]-120z - 60[/itex]. I don't know how to proceed from here because I haven't done many examples where you get a remainder after doing algebraic division. What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Check the product you're using from the two known roots.

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3
    I meant the product of the 2 factors (not roots). So [itex](z - (-3 + 4i))(z - (-3 - 4i)) = z^2 + 6z +13[/itex], right?

5. Jan 10, 2014 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I get something different, do a quick check again.

Maybe this will help you some more, write it like [itex]((z+3)^2 +16)[/itex] and look at why you're able to do that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  6. Jan 10, 2014 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A remainder is a sign there is an error. If the quadratic is a factor of the quartic there will be no remainder from division.

So since it is certain there is an error the only question remaining is whether it's yours or of the guy who set the question. :biggrin:

7. Jan 10, 2014 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Pretty sure it is his at the moment. : )

8. Jan 10, 2014 #7
    Yup, I've got it now. Thanks :)

9. Jan 11, 2014 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might find it easier to do as ((z+3)- 4i)((z+3)+4i) which is the product of a "sum and difference" and so equal to [itex](z+ 3)^2- (4i)^2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted