Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorizing taylor polynomials of infinite degree

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    an idea i had:

factorizing taylor polynomials
    Can any taylor polynomial be factorized into an infinite product representation?
    I think so.

I was able to do this(kinda) with sin(x), i did it this way.

because sin(0)=0, there must be an x in the factorization.
    because every x of sin(x)=0 is n*pi where n is any number, there is (x+pi)(x-pi)(x+2pi)(x-2pi)... in the factorization
    the (x+n*pi)(x-n*pi) can be simplified to (x^2-n^2*pi^2)

i know therefore that the factorized polynomial of sin(x) is in the form of

ax(x^2-pi^2)(x^2-4pi^2)(x^2-9pi^2)(x^2-16pi^2)(x^2-25pi^2)...

heres where i got messed up:

a= the coefficient of the highest exponent in the series, which is n*2+1 where n is the number of factors.
    a=1/(2n+1)!

which comes from the infinite sum representation. but as it turns out this is incorrect.(which after reasoning through it i realize that this the factorization is totally different from the infinite sum representation. and therefore i was wrong) but with help from my graphing calculator i was able use guess and check to decide the value of a.

also, it turns out that if n even, the factorization is sinx, while if n is odd, the factorization is -sinx. this is strange.

heres one factorization i came up with. but its only accurate between -pi and pi. graph it and see what i mean.

sinx=(1/500000000000)x(x^2-pi^2)(x^2-4pi^2)(x^2-9pi^2)(x^2-16pi^2)(x^2-25pi^2)(x^2-36pi^2)

it seems as though regardless of the number of factors, the polynomial is only accurate between -pi and pi.

with the moderate success of factorizing sin(x), i decided to try it with e^x
    e^x=x^0/0!+x^1/1!+x^2/2!+x^3/3!+...

however, the only solution of e^x=0 is negative infinity; there are not even any complex roots that i can work with.
    so does this mean that e^x non-factorizable? i cant imagine why.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_factorization_theorem" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 10, 2009 #3
    foxjwill's right on the money. You also have to be very careful about what you mean for an infinite product to converge. A lot of things you think should converge as infinite products dont.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook