Failing a Class? Advice for Physics/Math Major

In summary, the speaker discusses their struggles with their GPA and their concerns about potentially failing a lower division linear algebra class. They mention their past struggles with depression and PTSD, but also highlight their successes in other courses and research. They express their passion for physics and math and their desire to double major, but express concerns about the impact of failing this class on their chances for grad school. The speaker also mentions the importance of prioritizing their health and enjoying their studies.
renjkjk
Ok, so this is really weird.
I am a second year physics major at a decent university. My GPA at the moment is not steller (3.3). I think I totally bombed my lower division linear algebra midterm, and I might (a big maybe, because I am confident that I could pass this class if I put my 110% effort!) end up getting less than a C in the class. I felt super sick and didn't adequately prepare for the exam. I am bouncing back from depression and I had to take the fall quarter off to deal with my PTSD (I got a legit diagnosis from a few psychiatrists and went to impatient therapy). Right now I'm in my winter quarter. I did good in my lower division physics courses despite struggling with severe depression (A, A-, B+). I have a lot of research so far, and I might be publishing a paper by the end of the year. I got an A in an upper division math class in my freshman year (Fourier Analysis). So here's the question... if and IF I do end up failing this class (like a D) and if I retake it to get a better grade then will this hinder my chances for grad school? Physics is something I want to continue to pursue, and I can't see myself doing anything else. This linear algebra class isn't required for my major, but it is required for a few upper division math classes I want to take. I want to double major in math and physics, but it's not totally necessary (I just really find a lot of beauty in math... just not this class). Now I'm having second thoughts because of this dumb lower division course. I'm such an idiot for underestimating this class (sorry for being a debby downer and very negative). Right now I'm getting an "A" in Set Theory and an "A" in my other breadth classes. I understand that this class will not determine my self worth as a person, and this will seem trivial down the road. Can I get some thoughts? This is just worse case scenario.

Physics news on Phys.org
renjkjk said:
Can I get some thoughts?
Stop obsessing. You will be fine, first concentrate on your health. This is infinitely more important than any linear algebra class. Contemplate informing your student coordinator about your medical hindrances if you didn't do that already, take time to get in better shape, learn to enjoy your studies again and do well.

Incidentally, linear algebra is a beautiful subject, as I hope you will one day discover :smile:

1. What should I do if I am failing a physics or math class?

First, don't panic. Failing a class does not define your intelligence or potential. It is important to assess why you are struggling and seek help from your professor, TA, or a tutor. They can provide additional resources and support to help you improve.

2. How can I catch up if I am behind in my physics or math class?

Make a plan to catch up on missed material and stay on top of new material. This may involve setting aside more study time, attending office hours, or forming a study group. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification on concepts you are struggling with.

3. Is it possible to recover from failing a physics or math class?

Yes, it is possible to recover and improve your grade. The key is to stay determined and motivated, seek help when needed, and put in the necessary effort and time to understand the material. Remember, one bad grade does not define your academic career.

4. Should I drop the class if I am failing?

Dropping a class should be a last resort. Before making a decision, consider talking to your professor and academic advisor about your options. Dropping a class may have consequences on your academic progress and financial aid, so make sure to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

5. How can I prevent failing a physics or math class in the future?

To prevent failing a class in the future, it is important to stay organized and on top of assignments and studying. Attend all lectures and take thorough notes, and review material consistently to avoid falling behind. Seek help early on if you are struggling with a concept. It is also important to have a good work-life balance and take care of your mental and physical health.