1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling monkeys! (Projectile motion problem)

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3459/phys.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Y=VoYt+1/2gt2

3. The attempt at a solution

Rearranging the equation (using [tex]\Delta[/tex]Y=h), I get [tex]\sqrt{}2h/g[/tex] which, from what I understand, means it takes [tex]\sqrt{}2h/g[/tex] seconds for the monkey to reach the point at which the coconut was thrown. My problem is moving on from here. All I know is that the monkey is at the original height of the coconut and the coconut is some portion of b from it's starting point (for what it's worth, my guess is 9, but I'd rather not lose points that I don't have to trying to guess). Where should I go from here?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If the monkey catches the ball at a distance y from the ball, for monkey
    Δy = h + y = .....?.......(1)
    For the ball
    y =.........? (2)
    Solve these two equations to find t.

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    For monkey
    ΔY = h + y
    ΔY=1/2gt2+Vimt+1/2gt2
    h is 1/2gt2, y is Vimt+1/2gt2 (Vim being the monkeys velocity after falling h meters.)

For ball
    ΔY = y
    ΔY = Vibt+1/2gt2

ΔY = ΔY
    1/2gt2+Vimt+1/2gt2=Vibt+1/2gt2

And now I'm lost again. I tried figuring out the monkeys velocity once it reached the original height of the ball (a=Vf-Vi/t) and got
    V=g[tex]\sqrt{}2h/g[/tex], put that into the monkey equation and got ΔY=g[tex]\sqrt{}2h/g[/tex]t+2(1/2gt2), simplifying to ΔY=g[tex]\sqrt{}2h/g[/tex]t+gt2. I tried to set the two equations equal to each other, getting Vibt+1/2gt2=g[tex]\sqrt{}2h/g[/tex]t+gt2. From here I'm not sure what to do - I tried to find what t was equal to, but Vib and the two degrees of t's (t and t2) are making it rather difficult. I've tried rearranging twice and got a different answer each time. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong, or maybe where to start for rearranging?

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4
    Please help? Someone?

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your equation for monkey is wrong. Initial velocity of the monkey is zero.
    In time t, monkey travels
    h + y = 1/2*g*t^2.--------(1)
    For Ball, the initial velocity is in the upward direction.
    So y = -vo*t + 1/2*g*t^2.-------(2)
    Find (1) - (2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook