1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Falling object and air resistance

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the effect of air resistance is to slow down a moving object. It can be shown that height of a falling object is given by the following

2. Relevant equations

y=y0-[t+(e^-bt - 1)/b]g/b

a. show that for short times this reduces to the expected expression
    y=y0-1/2gt^2

b. Find the velocity
    c. Find the acceleration
    3. The attempt at a solution

I really not sure where to start with part a. what does it mean by reduces?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You must replace the exponential with its power series. The power series will be a constant term plus a term with t, plus a t^2 term, plus a t^3 term and so on. For small times you can ignore the higher power terms. In this case keep only the first 3 terms.
    If you aren't familiar with power series, you can look them up in the back of the book or in a reference book with tables of integrals. The exponential one is also given here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_series

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    Could you help explain how to find the velocity and the acceleration for the above equation. I know you differentiate it once for the velocity and then differentiate the velocity for the acceleration, but i'm having trouble.

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The expression for y is pretty ugly; I would expand it out like this:
    justin016.jpg
    Go ahead and try to find dy/dt. I'm sure you can do the constant terms and the one with a t factor. For the exponential, recall that the derivative of e^x is e^x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook