Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Family Kicked Off Air Tran Flight For Toddler's Temper Tantrum

1. Jan 24, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like they have a seriously spoiled brat. If the kid was "crawling around under the seat and hitting the parents" and the plane had already been delayed 15 minutes, it's time to get them off the plane. Most people have connections they have to make to other flights, delaying the plane any further could have caused the other passengers serious problems.

4. Jan 24, 2007 #3

I agree they should have been kicked off. Maybe they will seek some parenting classes or call Super Nanny for help. I doubt it though.....

5. Jan 24, 2007 #4
    112 passengers * 15 minutes = 1680 people-minutes = 28 people-hours of delay. That's a heck of a lot of suffering, and only furthers my ongoing cause, for a total ban of toddlers and rattlesnakes on airplanes.

6. Jan 24, 2007 #5
    (Why does Rach3 have a koala as an avatar? Tune in next week to find out!)

7. Jan 24, 2007 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Ya know, I was all set to say that it is tough to know how bad it was without seeing it, but dang, it is tough to argue with that math!

8. Jan 24, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That reminds me of what we (a student and I) did on the last trip to a conference. We had a poster tube to carry with all the posters for the lab, and for some reason, seemed to keep getting bugged by small children about what was in the tube. So, we started telling them our pet snake was in the tube. :biggrin: You should've seen the expression on the kids' faces when we told them that. :bugeye:

And, I completely agree with Evo, that these parents definitely are raising a spoiled brat if they can't get the kid under control after 15 minutes of delay, and are still complaining they needed more time to "comfort" the child. Comfort the child AFTER you have her plunked into that seat and belted in. At least the passengers didn't have to listen to her screaming for the entire flight, because that much fuss over just sitting in her seat and wearing a seatbelt would indicate that there would be equal fuss over everything else. I don't even understand how it's so difficult to get a kid into a seatbelt in this day and age...every kid under 5 or 6 has to ride in a car with a carseat, so they should be completely used to this routine by 3.

9. Jan 24, 2007 #8
    It seems the family was adequately compensated for being removed, the father saying they would never fly on AirTran again just comes across as silly.

10. Jan 24, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, they were pretty much rewarded with free tickets for letting their kid act up. I hope that doesn't catch on. But, hey, if families with bratty kids don't want to fly AirTran, fine with me...I'll start flying them more often. :wink:

I have to wonder how long TOTAL this kid was throwing her tantrum for, since families with small children are usually allowed to board first to give them time to settle the kids in before the plane is full of other people. Even on a small AirTran plane, they usually get the pre-boarding done about 5 min before the other passengers board, another 10 or 15 min for the boarding, yet this carrying on continued long enough to delay the plane 15 min?

11. Jan 24, 2007 #10
    Sounds like the airline was completely right to throw them off the flight. I hate going places like a nice restaurant, movie...ect and having to listen to bratty kids throw tantrums the entire time. If I had done that when I was young I would have been smacked, and rightly so.

12. Jan 24, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would have had it even worse...my mom would have been the one dragging me off the plane and the vacation would have been cancelled.

I only remember my sister throwing a tantrum once in a store (I guess I was too young when I tried it to remember), and that was the first and last time it happened. She started, and mom told her if she continued carrying on, she would be carried out of the store with everyone watching and would be taken right back home...no getting whatever it was she was crying she wanted, and no getting anything else either. And Mom sure did keep her word. :eek: That's all it takes, one walk of shame out of the store while tucked under mom's arm and a quick termination of going out shopping with mom. Misbehaving out in public was simply not an option for us. Oh, and if we spotted another kid misbehaving and wanted to know why we couldn't do the same thing, mom had the answer nobody could argue with..."Obviously that kid's mom doesn't love him/her as much as I love you, because she's letting them turn into a bad kid nobody will like when they get older." :bugeye: How do you argue with that?

13. Jan 24, 2007 #12
    Haha my parents would have done the same thing. I'd have been dragged off that plane so fast my head spun....then I'd have gotten a good 'licken' out in the parking lot. Good thing I knew better. I remember seeing a kid throw a fit in a store one time and I asked my mom if I was ever that bad in public....and she was like nope you knew better than to pull stunts like that.

14. Jan 24, 2007 #13
    Open the door at 37,000 feet. The brat will be sucked out and weeeeeeeeee SPLAT. Problem sovled.

15. Jan 24, 2007 #14
    Haha I like the way you think.

16. Jan 24, 2007 #15
    It worked in james bond, and gold finger was really fat.

17. Jan 25, 2007 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

WHen we took our son Simon on his first long flight, he was 1-1/2 years old, and at that cranky, teething age. We were so anxious about how he would handle the flight we even brought along some drugs (just benedryl, actually). When we asked a doctor about how much this little guy should be given, the doctor was aghast that we would consider medicating our son just for convenience.

Luckily it was a non-issue; he slept after only 5 minutes of whining. Otherwise, either way, we were headed for a cross-country guilt-trip.

18. Jan 25, 2007 #17
    I'm not too sure about that "spoiled brat" theory. My kids were very easy going and pleasant almost all of the time. They rarely went into tantrums. But when they did, there was no way to predict it was coming and no way to calm them down once it did. Patience, when patience was hard to evoke, was the only cure. I would take the tantrummer out of the hearing of other people while my wife and the other kid sat and finished what they were doing. It could take 15 or 20 minutes to calm down. Threats, punishements, rewards and begging had no effect on this time period.

As for kicking the family off the plane, this is extreme. Tantrums rarely last very long. Perhaps there were passengers who were complaining, but I have never seen that happen myself.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  19. Jan 25, 2007 #18
    Whaaa? What ever happened to hitting your kid when they misbehave. Smack them in the bottom and then tell them to stop crying or they will get another smack. Tantrum over.

20. Jan 25, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They were delaying take-off because they weren't getting the kid into her seat! If she's going to scream, fine, but pick her up and put her in the seat and strap the seatbelt around her so the plane can get moving. If the kid is small enough to climb under the seat of a plane, she's small enough to be lifted up by an adult and sat in her seat, whether she is happy about it or not.

21. Jan 25, 2007 #20

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Our kids had motion sickness problems when they were little. To counteract this, we would give them Dramamine at the onset of a long trip. Our pediatrician told us how to reduce the adult dose to little kid size. Dramamine is very similar to Benadryl: They both induce drowsiness. Not only was the car clean, it was also quiet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?