NathanSM said:
Im beginning to believe that since doubling the wire length did not affect strength, voltage drop is the issue. I may purchase DC-DC boost converter and try to run the circuit at a much higher voltage and see how this affects the strength.
I believe you need to maximize the magnetomotive force (MMF) in order to obtain more mechanical force in your solenoid design, and I think MMF is proportional to the electrical power input to the coil, so it needs to provide more electrical power to generate a larger MMF.For a coils with limited winding space, you can choose thin wire or thick wire to make the coil. Thin wire results in more turns and high resistance, which in turn requires high voltage and low current inputs. On the other hand, thick wire results in fewer turns and low resistance, which in turn require low voltage and high current inputs.
However, if the input electrical power is the same, the MMF produced in the two cases will be roughly the same.
So the important factor is how much power you are willing to provide, but, of course, if too much power is applied, you also need to consider overheating.
Moreover, just increasing the coil winding space can increase MMF without adding additional power input.
Remark :
MMF = NI, where
N is the number of turns in the coil and
I is the electric current through the circuit