1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Faraday Effect: Calculating Vedet Constants

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    Hi guys, so we currently ran an experiment where we calculated the verdet constant when laser light passed through a glass rod then through an analyzer to a photodetector.
    The experiment worked great for us but I wanted to know if anyone has ever calculated the verdet constant for any other substances.

To be more specific, we used equipment bought from TeachSpin,
    we used a solenoid with about 1400 turns of copper wires with a power supply hooked up to it at 3 amps to apply a magnetic field of about 11.l(mT/A)I, where I is the current, 3 amps in out case.
    The glass rod was specifically called Schott SF-59, and had a verdet constant of about 23 radians/mT*m

has anyone ran the experiment with perhaps a liquid with a known verdet constant? Or any other easy to get substance?
    Thanks guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted