Faraday's Law help, not sure if I'm using the equations correctly.

In summary, the problem involves a coil with 3.55 cm radius and 480 turns placed in a uniform magnetic field that varies with time. The coil is connected to a resistor and its plane is perpendicular to the magnetic field. The goal is to find the induced emf in the coil using the equations ε = - \frac{\Phi_{B}}{t} and \Phi_{B}=BA, where B is the magnetic field, A is the area of the coil, and N is the number of turns. After simplifying the equation for B and substituting in the values for A and N, we are left with a final equation for ε. However, in order to get the correct answer, we must also multiply the
beanus

Homework Statement

A coil 3.55 cm radius, containing 480 turns, is placed in a uniform magnetic field that varies with time according to B = (1.20e-2 T/S)t + (3.05e-5 T/s[itex]^{4}[/itex] )t[itex]^{4}[/itex]. The coil is connected to a 620 Ohm resistor, and its plane is perpendicular to the magnetic field. You can ignore the resistance of the coil.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex][itex]_{B}[/itex]=BA
ε = - [itex]\frac{\Phi_{B}}{t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I divided by t and removed a t from each term in "B"

r = .0355
N = 480

A = [itex]\pi[/itex](.0355)[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 3.959192142e-3
AN = (3.959192142e-3)(480) = 1.900412228

So all we're left with is:
BAN = 1.900412228 [(1.20e-2 T/S) + (3.05e-5 T/s[itex]^{3}[/itex] )t[itex]^{4}[/itex]]

ε = (2.28e-2 V) + (5.80e-5 V/s[itex]^{3}[/itex])t[itex]^{3}[/itex] should be my final answer but mastering physics says I'm wrong. Please help thanks!

EDIT:

I just found a posting where they multiplied the second term in B (3.05e-5 T/s[itex]^{3}[/itex] )t[itex]^{4}[/itex] by 4. When I did that I got the correct answer! But I don't know why I would multiply the term by 4. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have not checked all of your maths but did you remember to x4 when you differentiated t^4 ??

beanus said:
ε = - [itex]\frac{\Phi_{B}}{t}[/itex]
[tex]ε = -\frac{d \Phi_{B}}{dt}, \ \text{ not } \ - \frac{\Phi_{B}}{t}[/tex]

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's electromagnetic induction, states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor.

How is Faraday's Law used?

Faraday's Law is used to understand and predict electromagnetic phenomena, such as the generation of electricity in power plants, the functioning of electric motors and generators, and the transmission of signals in electronic devices.

What are the equations associated with Faraday's Law?

There are two main equations associated with Faraday's Law: the first is the equation for induced EMF, which is EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the conductor and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux. The second equation is the equation for induced current, which is I = EMF/R, where R is the resistance of the conductor.

How can I use Faraday's Law to calculate induced EMF?

To calculate induced EMF, you can use the equation EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the conductor and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux. You will need to know the values for these variables, which can be determined through experiments or given in a problem.

What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has many practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, operation of electric motors, and data transmission in electronic devices such as cell phones and computers. It is also used in technologies like MRI machines and transformers.