Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fast and powerful motor needed BUT it needs to be small

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    Fast and powerful motor needed BUT it needs to be small!!!!

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make an invention of my own but for this i need a fast and powerful motor but it has to be very flat and small something that can be attached to the arm. Any suggestions of such a motor. I've had some luck with a hybrid stepper motor, Tamagawa's TS3218, but I'm not sure if it will have enough speed or torque for my invention.

HELP???!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Re: Fast and powerful motor needed BUT it needs to be small!!!!

Welcome to PF, Shaan.
    I probably can't help you, but I'm sure that many of us who might try would like a bit more information. We don't want you to divulge anything that would compromise a future patent application, but your question is a bit vague. For instance, in what manner does the motor have to be attached to "the arm"? What, in fact, is "the arm"? Is this to be from mains or a battery? (I know that the 3218 is 5 or 12 VDC, but that can be from either source.)

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3

Well I am basically trying to recreate the spiderman string shooter for a personal project. For this I thought I would use a motor and wrap a string around it, however I have just thought of making something that can become pressurized and cause maybe a sticky nylon material to be shot off. In both cases I need a small but powerful motor that can be attached to the arm but is light enough to carry.

5. Jul 9, 2012 #4

etudiant

Gold Member

Shooting string for more than a few feet is not limited by the motor, but by the air drag on the string being extended.
    A possible solution would be to imbed your string in a water jet, that would give you a good impulse and save you having to invent a mechanical string shooter.

6. Jul 9, 2012 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I actually designed a set of web-shooters about 30 years ago. (Huge Spidey fan. :redface:)
    It never crossed my mind to use motors, though. Mine used Crossman CO2 cartridges.

7. Jul 9, 2012 #6

I want to design a mechanical one, just like one spiderman has. However Im going tobe hopefully creating a couple of try outs of other ideas before I go for my last one. I need to be able to shoot a string from up to 20 to 30, thanks for the CO2 Cartridge Idea I think that maybe the way forward in this project danger. Still need an Idea that will shoot a wet stringy material up to 30 feet.

8. Jul 9, 2012 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Jul 10, 2012 #8

Whow this is amazing, this is exactly what I needed thank you Danger, anymore good ides on this?

10. Jul 11, 2012 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Well, the Marvel explanation is that the web fluid is a sheer-thinning material. Ie: it is liquid under pressure, and solidifies when released.
    I don't really want to expand too much upon mine for two reasons. One is that I never actually built the thing due to a couple of obstacles that I didn't bother to sort out. (I have ADD big-time, so I tend to lose interest in projects.) I therefore do not know for sure whether or not it would work. It was based upon the interface polymerization of nylon 6-10. Three .75mm strands thereof would be ejected twisting around each other at a couple of hundred rpm, with a stream of Super Glue 3 squirted up the middle.
    Aside from the parts that I didn't work out (such as purging the interface chamber between firings, and the need to wear Teflon gloves), I also designed it to be lethal. Closeup anti-mugging device, with about a 3 metre range.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook